What exactly makes headphones fun?
Feb 20, 2005 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sant430

500+ Head-Fier
I've heard the term used for assorted cans, and wonder what exactly does everyone mean by fun? Also, which cans would NOT be fun and why?

I've read that the SR225s and the DT770s are both fun. I've got both of them, and I've also got a pair of HD580's which are equally as fun (at least to me). Of course I think most headphones are fun!
k1000smile.gif

Would there ever be times when FUN headphones would not be 'appropriate'? If so, what would constitute more 'serious' cans?

Thanks guys!

Santi

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 16
"Fun" means cheap. "Serious" means expensive. Terms like this are used by people who believe that the more expensive a set of headphones is, the better it sounds.

See ya
Steve

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 16
My take is that a "fun" set of cans is perhaps a bit less accurate, but more punchy. Almost more involving. I also have the 580's, and the 225's. Listen to Master of Puppets some time on the original album with both sets. There is a marked difference between the two, and I would call this difference the "fun."

Mark

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 16
I tend to think of "fun headphones" as being colored or emphasized in ways that are probably not "true," but which bring an enjoyable sparkle or thump to the listening experience.

BW

Feb 20, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Fun = Bass
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

With just a hint of midrange projection and some treble on top of it.. See the cans in my sig...

Garrett

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 16
"fun" would be headphones that let low quality local band demos not sound so bad

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Fun = Bass
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

With just a hint of midrange projection and some treble on top of it.. See the cans in my sig...

Garrett

The V6s are always fun if the highs don't bother you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 16
For me, the funnest thing about canalphones is walking down the street, not knowing whether or not a bus is about to hit you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAccountability
The V6s are always fun if the highs don't bother you.
smily_headphones1.gif

My OEM stock V6 is my least fun can.... mids are piercing

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 16
To me,fun means lots of detail with dynamic punch which usually costs lots of money.Beyer DT860s are fun and Von Schweikert VR-1 speakers are even more fun.Smooth and laid back is not fun.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 16
This is entirely subjective, and relates to personal taste above all. I would guess that "fun" is the deviation from perfectly natural sound that would most suit your taste. I find very neutral and natural headphones to be "fun" but then again there's also the bassy monsters that are "fun" with some kinds of music.

Honestly, there is no answer to this. Whatever you like most, that's what the most fun is - for you. I love my SR-404's, but they're typically considered "serious" and not "fun" cans - well, I have both in one package.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
For me, the funnest thing about canalphones is walking down the street, not knowing whether or not a bus is about to hit you.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Haha one of my friends actually got nailed by a car while he was listening to his Shures!

Feb 21, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAccountability
Haha one of my friends actually got nailed by a car while he was listening to his Shures!

What happened? He forget to look both ways before crossing the street or somethin.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back