What exactly is the loop out feature used for?
Jan 20, 2006 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone? Would it be useful for a simple source->amp->headphone setup?

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 9
The loop out is not useful for a simple source->amp->headphone setup. If, however, you wanted to use the same source for a headphone rig and a speaker rig, you could run the source into the input on the headphone amp, and then use the loop out on the headphone amp to run the signal into a preamp or an integrated. It is just an output jack that allows you to pass on the signal in an unaltered form (or mostly unaltered, as the connections along the way will likely introduce a very small amount of distortion). Hope that helps.

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 9
I think I understand. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Don't forget the two input impedances will be in parallel at all times unless there is a defeat switch for one or the other !
Usually OK but in some cases not (the parallel impedance too low for the driving impedance) so should always be looked at in each system for effect on the signal

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Hmmm, rickcr42. I do use the loopout on my Lite to my integrated to drive my speakers, but have not considered the parallel impedance thing to which you have referred. How does one check on this?

thx, - walk

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 9
input impedance of the headphone amp plus the input impedance of the integrated (Z+Z) divided by two.

not usually a problem since most inputs are in the 50K range or better (which 2 of in parallel would be 25K) but have a lowish input inpedance and a tubed CD player or DAC with a high output Z (not uncommon) and you need to pay special attention to cable length or in extreme cases consider buffering either the tube stage output to lower its impedance (audible through both feeds) or biuffer the loop feed to present a high input Z and low output Z thus isolating that line out.

again not usually a problem (especially in an all solid state system : Lo Z outs,Hi Z ins) but something to keep in mind any time you parallel an audio device.everything is audible and has a consequence.The trick is to balance "real world system" need against detrimental effects on the sonics

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 9
So, if you wanted to use bass shakers you'd need an amp with loop out? I'm not sure if I have the necessary gear to use bass shakers or need to use a loop out. I know that the bass shakers need to be amped by a powerful speaker amp, and I have one, but it seems to be divided in two. One deck has all the controls on it; volume, bass control, different dolby modes, switching between sources, equalizer and display, etc. While the other deck says "4-Channel High Power Amplifier" and only has a power button and a 1/4" headphone jack. However, it also seems to have a ribbon cable on the back that connects to the top deck (The one with all the controls). What is the proper name for both of these devices and what do I need to do (How do I hook everything up) to use bass shakers/loop out?

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

So, if you wanted to use bass shakers you'd need an amp with loop out?

only if you have some means of adjusting the volume before the headphone amp or every time you adjust the headphone volume you would need some means to adjust the bass shaker also to balance it with the headphones.
The "Loop Out" bypasses the headphone amp totally and is not more than a "Y" connector in real use

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 9
Normal configuration is to have the headphone amplifier connected to the "tape out" of a pre-amplifier. This allows the full signal to go to the headphone amplifier.

The "loop-out" is then used to pass the signal through to a tape deck or other device that also requires the full signal.

Like rickcr42 says, if you want both a tape deck and a headphone amplifier, as I do, but don't have two tape-out's, you can use either a Y-Cable or use the loop-out, if your headphone amplifier has one. <--- Run on sentence
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back