What exactly is the difference between the starving student and the millett max?
Aug 4, 2009 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mplee79

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it all.

I'm wondering what the difference between the 2 amps is. Is the max more powerful or does it just use better components?

How does this amp compare with retail amps such as the compass (just the amp portion)

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 4
Max is more powerful. It uses different tubes and has more transistors. Its design seems a little more complex. That's about all I know...

Both are DIY designs so the components are flexible, you can build it with black gates or no name parts, doesn't matter.

I used to have a starving student and it sounded great, owing to its simplicity and lack of op amps it had a very natural sound. A little more power for HD650 would have been nice (It's not quite up to par with my M3) but for under $200 built or $100 DIY it's too cheap to ignore. It will stomp a lot of other comparably priced amps.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by mplee79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering what the difference between the 2 amps is. Is the max more powerful or does it just use better components?

The two are competely unrelated and vastly different in design.
The only thing that is common between the two amp is the original designer(Pete Millet), the fact that it uses tubes, and that they both sound excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back