What exactly is the difference between open and sealed cans?
Apr 17, 2007 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

isamu

100+ Head-Fier
I know this is a n00b question, but when headphones are described as being open or sealed, what exactly are they referring to? I obviously know what sealed cans do, they well, seal and cover your entire ear. But what do open air style cans do and what is their benefit? Does open mean the music can be heard from the outside? How does the sound generally differ to the listener?

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 18
The difference lies in isolation. Open cans do not seal outside noise away nor do they seal sound from the headphones in. One can usually follow and even engage in conversations with open cans on (assuming not too loud a listening level).

The reverse applies for sealed cans.

p.s. What you are describing by "seal and cover your entire ear" is circumaural pad style. Nothing to do with isolation.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 18
They are referring to the earcups. For example the hd 600 is an openback design and the proline 750 is a closed back design. Fully closed you can see they have fully covered the drivers. You can't see through the cup. That doesn't have to mean they fully cover your ear though. Open backed means you can "look" through it. It has not been completely sealed.
As for the differences in sound I think it depends on what models you are comparing.
The benifit of an open hp, generally said, is that they have larger headstage, and a more extended bass.
Closed ones , generally said, give you a more intimate feeling, deeper bass though less extended.
Open also means you can hear the music more easily from the outside, they leek more sound. You can also hear more from your surroundings when wearing open hp's.
I hope I answered it a bit for you...
I will post 2 pics, one of the open hd600 and one of the closed 750.

HD 600:

HD600_hires.jpg

Proline 750:

Nr573-Proline750-4.jpg

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 18
About the sound, openess allows more airier sound which is free of reverbations. Closed one is more... well... closed-in sounding. Reverbations give the feeling of more deeper bass and such though, but might harm other frequencies. Closed one can be airy and reverb-free too, but is much more difficult to make it so.

However, with closed headphone its much more easier to listen all those little details and sink in music when listening enviroment isnt 100% optimal. With open headphone, even slightest background hum or noise (like computer fans, fridge, annoying little brother, anything that makes noise) disturbs listening experience

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 18
Here is the difference between the two:
Closed - Everyone around you likes you because they can't hear your music.
Open - Everyone around you HATES you because the CAN hear your music.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 18
Here is the difference between the two:
Closed - Everyone around you hates you because you can't hear them speak.
Open - Everyone around you LIKES you because you CAN hear them speak.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #10 of 18
I think music, especially with real instruments and not computer generated music inherently benefits a lot from open headphones since music is played in open areas. It just sounds natural.

Depending on your tastes in music, speakers, etc. You will probably just have to experiment with both open and closed headphones to see what sounds right for you.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think music, especially with real instruments and not computer generated music inherently benefits a lot from open headphones since music is played in open areas. It just sounds natural.

Depending on your tastes in music, speakers, etc. You will probably just have to experiment with both open and closed headphones to see what sounds right for you.

Hmmm....That's an interesting point I hadn't considered...

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not particularly since the sound has been recorded in an open area already, the headphone is just delivering the sound of the instruments in THAT room. Consider this, many people consider Sony R-10 the BEST headphone for classical music Sony R-10. Closed design.

There are exceptions to basically every single point stated but the technical aspects would be:
1. Open headphones allow drivers to move more easily in both directions providing a more natural response to the recording.
2. Higher end closed headphones rely on some kind of a material to take advantage of the Reverbation that occurs inside the cups to add to the overall signature of the headphone. (audio-technica uses wood, as does sony's R10, and headphile's woody mod of dt770,cd3000,k340).

That being said, your fav headphone could be open or closed even if you are listening in an isolated area, I personally love the soundstage of my w5000 and its bass extension, even though it is a closed headphone. On the other hand there are many lovers of Grado products, which are open and have no sound stage to speak of, nor really a bass extension (except for the GS1000 which has both but its a unique phone in their line).

If you need people to not hear you, you can have great sound even with the theoretical technical limitations of closed headphones.

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand there are many lovers of Grado products, which are open and have no sound stage to speak of, nor really a bass extension (except for the GS1000 which has both but its a unique phone in their line).

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I owned the RS-1 and, while it was no king of soundstage, had a pretty decent one. That said, Grados aren't known for having great soundstage.

In terms of bass, the RS-1's extension was pretty good, and the impact excellent.

May 21, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 18
So how loud are openback phones? I am considering this for a work environment and would listen at low to moderate volumes. If this means that people more than a few feet away could hear the music, I would consider in ear phones or closed phone designs instead. I was hoping to go with AKG-701 since I liked them when I heard them, but have none around to sample from the outside.

May 21, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 18
That depends on how loud you listen to your music.

truly open headphones are almost as loud out the back as they are out the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back