What exactly do ferrite cores do?
Aug 1, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 13
They're a ceramic-like magnetic material that is mostly used to to absorb EMI (although they have other uses.) I've found they strip away musical information when used on analogue interconnects and don't recommend them for that application. They're probably best used on power cords to reduce noise.

Aug 2, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 13
"The magnetic field blocks out high frequency RF noise"

I'm curious as to how the magnet differentiates the high frequency "noise" and the clean high frequency signal coming down the cable.

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelhwolff
"The magnetic field blocks out high frequency RF noise"

I'm curious as to how the magnet differentiates the high frequency "noise" and the clean high frequency signal coming down the cable.

They have an elf inside the cable that tells the ferrite core what to do......
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

The ferrite blocks the RF and EMI (mostly above listening HF spectrum) that is outside of the cable to go the inside of the cable...

Aug 2, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 13
The ferrite ring increases the cable impedance at high frequencies but should preferably not affect the impedance in the audible range, or at the AC frequency. Obviously it is easier to achieve this at 60 Hz than over a great bandwidth.

Aug 2, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 13
So would you say my extra ferrite should go on the interconnect or the elpac power cord? The power is already in a monster power conditioner so I imagine that's clean, but the interconnect is from a computer with all the noise of that environment (though it is a fully shielded cable I built myself).

As for the ferrite blocking audio signal, there are a bunch of cords on the market with ferrites on them...

For now its on my power cable.

Thanks,

--Illah

Aug 2, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 13
Ferrite rings work best on powercords but the effect is usually marginal and not always audible. They dampen the noise a little rather tham remove it. They can have a negative effect on audio cables and reduce high frequency extension, but that depends on factors as how strong the ferrite ring is.
You can try it only different positions and hear if something changes.
One possiblity could be to use it for pre-cleaning before the Monster.

May 6, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 13
Hi Guys, I have some lame question:) If I will install  few of them one after another on power cord will it clean noises more? while ago I get Roksan Kandy mk3 and its noisy as hell, I can hear it especially when I plug my headphones. I can hear mouse movements and hdd working plus something that might be my fridge... its so annoying. Im sure noises dont come from my imput because I can hear them even if I unplug all inputs. I have Tacima 6-Way Mains Conditioner with Surge Protection but it doesnt seems to work... Im not sure if I actually have ground... I rent this flat. so the question is will those ferrite rings help me, and will they increase filtering if I will install few of them on power cord? if yes I will buy hundred of them and go mad installing them everywhere... damn noises! Argghh

May 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Ferrites filter radio frequency interference (RFI). Different model #'s filter different frequencies. Different positioning will have different effectiveness.
Mouse movement noise is probably not an RFI interference problem.
Refrigerator (and similar) noises should be dealt with at the source.

Jim Brown, past AES committee chair on EMI/RFI interference, has several papers on using ferrites. Don't let the word 'Ham' fool you, much of the paper also applies to audio systems.

New Understandings of the Use of Ferrites in the Prevention and Suppression of RF Interference to Audio Systems
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/AESPaperFerritesASGWeb.pdf

Understanding How Ferrites Can Prevent and Eliminate RF Interference to Audio Systems
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

RFI, Ferrites, and Common Mode Chokes For Hams
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

May 7, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 13
Hi Speedskater,
 thanks for your help. If that would be my flat probably I would install all wires in the walls again, but I renting it. I will take look at those articles. I really thank you for reply.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 13
Hey Ilah im also thinking of putting ferrites in all my AC chords. By the way, I wanted to buy some Grado Rse2 recently, I wanted a grado fan's point of view as to what is the characteristic sound of Grado? I want to join the Grado Wagon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back