what ever happened to the ATH-M50 craze around here?
Oct 11, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 23
Sad to see many denouncers down here on what is still kind of a special headphone to me. I own a SRH840 but I still think the M50 is a brilliant headphone if you get one cheap. The sound, its portable and does a good job for what it is meant to do. It is kind of sad that the price went up though.

I have heard the D2K, I agree with Malveax, its a great headphone but at the same time it is significantly(at least to me) more expensive than a M50 and on top of that its more open than closed which is a significant factor for those wearing M50s outside.

There are also quite a few better alternatives for the price to pay though, FA-003, KRk, etc.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 23
personally i think the M50 tonality is pretty nice except the sibliant highs, but the real fault me and my friend thought was the super narrow soundstage. its about as narrow(if not narrower) as the HD202

also they sell here at (if converted directly to USD) about $230

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #19 of 23
I am hoping they are immune to this and are truly best of class headphones

In any given price range, there are a few stand-out headphones. Which one you find best comes down to your preferred sound signature. That's the reason we always recommended to try before you buy if possible.

You won't find a ~$100 headphone that's clearly better than the M50. I happen to like the SRH840 a little more than the M50 (and also the more expensive D2000), but you might not.

If you describe what you like and don't like about the M50, we'll be more likely to recommend an alternative that suits your preferences.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
Heya,

Funny how flavors of the month do this.

The M50 re-surfaces all the time, then it goes back into the shade. Some how it has more recommendations than most headphones by more people who have either not even experienced the M50, or have not listened to anything but the M50. The M50 & AD700 for example are the two headphones you see riddling every forum being re-posted by everyone, it eats up gaming forums, and headphone forums alike. It's as if nothing else has ever existed or will exist. There are plenty of headphones in the same price range that are better values. But you won't convince an M50 fanatic of this. I say this as a M50 owner, and owner of many, many other headphones. It's just not that special. Blew my mind when I got it only to have the reality check that it's just another headphone in the sea of headphones. But if you have enough people reposting it, it surely must be special.

Very best,

Well said, overrated with tons of flaws 

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 23
It's just not as good value as it used to be, but it's still not bad, but not that great anymore.

And I hate when people that just blatantly recommend the AD700 when people ask for gaming headphones. They are good for strictly competitive gaming or some classical music but they would not be very good for other genres of music or immersive/fun gaming.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #22 of 23
I agree the SR840's sound better (but the M50's are designed to fit better at least for me);
Also like the KRK 8400's more.  I'm surprised by the 8400's; they just keep sounding
better and better as they continue breaking in. Very engaging and unique sounding
headphones for the price range.

Mostly, I agree with streetdragon: the major issue with the M50's is their severely
constricted soundstage.  Because of that, they never allow you to become fully
immersed in the music.

Speaking from my experience having bought and sold 2 pairs of ATH M50's.
First pair when they were released, second pair about a year later. 

Both sold and never, ever missed.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Heya,

You'll see very quickly that the Denon D2000 is still, and will always be, an excellent headphone in it's price range. There is a lot of competition there in that range. But not if you consider two things: (1) closed back and (2) sub-bass. The moment you say you want sub-bass, it pretty much takes out most open-headphones, they can do it, but they just can't deliver it the way a closed headphone can. The impact is just so different with a closed headphone when it comes to a big bass slam. So even though there are a lot of headphones in the $200~350 range, you'll find that, well, very few of them compare to the Denon D2000. The D2000 has a better sound stage than most other closed headphones, it has a semi-open internal design with a vent going around the outside shell giving it a great sound stage, plus deep cups. The bass is not overwhelming, it's actually simply linear down to sub-bass regions, so when you hear a bass note, it's as present as something in the mids. Think of it more like an audiophile's headphone that is really bass capable. The mids may be technically slightly recessed, but this applies to every headphone with any slightly emphasis on bass/treble, the moment something has more volume in one frequency than the mids, it's automatically recessed and I think it gets unjustly applied too often. That said, vocals, instruments, etc, all sound great in the D2000 (you'll find they are clear, forward and more natural sounding than the PRO900's sound on vocals and instruments). The treble has a good sparkle to it, they're not dark headphones, they're slightly bright, but they're not over the top bright (PRO900's are very bright, too bright for most).

I went from the PRO900 to the D2000 to the D5000. Final resting headphone for me, closed back wise, is the D5000. The PRO900 was simply too bright, and it was all mid-bass. The mids were drown out, so vocals just sounded weird, not natural, distant. The D2000 and D5000 on the other hand, the bass is more to my preference, big sub-bass presence, way less mid-bass bloat, the mids are great, vocals and instruments sound normal, natural, engaging, and not distant. Treble is bright, has a sparkle, but it's not spiky bright, so it doesn't fatigue me (it does others, but everyone is different and some are sensitive to all headphones with any brightness at all).

Out of all the mid-fi headphones, and I have most of them, the D2000 is still in my opinion and experience one of the best headphones you can get, one of the most complete headphones, because it's signature covers all genres, it's incredibly comfortable, it's incredibly efficient and runs out of anything, and to me does audio more like how speakers would sound than a headphone sounds (sound stage, big sub bass ability). At $200 used, to $300ish or more new (if available), it's just unmatched in the closed headphone category in it's price range to me. There are similar ones, but so far, nothing has really taken it down for me. You can look at my selection to see what it's been put against if you care to.

Very best,

Exactly.
Which is again a big shame that they are discontinued. They are really special cans for those Bassheads around.

..and again i hoped to get the D5000s after some time, but no seems people will be stuck with the Denon D600s.

Hope the new series of the Beyer COP will be decent. By the way.. what about the COPs? Aren't they something to recommend next to the M50? I personally like them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back