What ever happened to the ATH-A1000 & W1000???
Feb 4, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #32 of 60
Hi,
Thanks for the information. I have read that the CD3000 has an airlie(?) soundstage and more amp dependent. Is this true. In the near future, I really want one of these three: CD3000, W1000, and A1000.

Has anyone heard the CD3000 and A1000 together? Will you share your thought on this. Thanks

Purk

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #33 of 60
I no longer check head-fi because I don't have any money to spend towards audio equipment and also because I'm very satisfied with my W1000. Sometimes I put them on and they still impress me, and I listen to them everyday. It's possible that they're still changing, the bass has improved even since last month. I estimate about 800 hours of burn in (I know I burned it in for 300+ the first month. Maybe it's because I haven't heard anything significantly better.

Feb 4, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #34 of 60
To add my 2 dB, I absolutely love the W1000 for all types of music; my Grado 325 and Ety 4P are pretty much just gathering dust now. It's all around better in both sonics and comfort. Still looking to get an HP-1 from Ebay, and maybe if I'm lucky a W2002, but I can live with the W1000 for a long time to come, almost wish I had two so I won't have to worry about transport damage.

The Etys never impressed me, too clinical. Haven't listened to the CD3000 (yet), but if it's as good and even more comfortable than the W1000...

Feb 4, 2003 at 1:57 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

I prefer the A900 to the A1000!!

Nice to hear! I could only afford the A900, it's nice to see someone prefers them. Mine are breaking in great, I would not trade them (OK, maybe for a pair of W1000!)

Feb 4, 2003 at 2:52 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
The CD3000 is significantly more comfortable from what I have read, but I find the W1000 to be very acceptable comfort-wize. Isolation is decent with the W1000 ( I can't hear our phone ring when I listen to hard rock), but I could hear the fire alarm.

Hmmm...reading through the different posts, it sounds like comfort (not surprisingly) is very personal, based on how the cans fit one's own ears. Can anyone with the W1000 measure the inside of the cups, say X and Y at widest point, so I can compare it to my current <name stricken due to extreme embarrasment> headphones and see if they'll be comfortable enough for me?

-Nadim

Feb 5, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #38 of 60
bangraman, from the photos here, the A1000 pads look to be a bit thicker than the W1000, is this correct? I actually discovered a little blood on my left anthelix (the ear's outermost protrusion) the other day, strange since I didn't notice any contact while listening, it was in the shower the next morning... The really odd thing is that the drivers are angled and I can't figure what part was rubbing. Can replacement pads be ordered?

Nadim, the W1000 pad's inner diameter is 2 1/8" (54 mm).

Feb 5, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
A old question to whoever tried both headphone:
Which one you will pick? A1000 or W1000?

I chose the W1000 planning to keep and use them at home. This is because their wood cups are going to be some sensitivity to environmental temperature and humidity, and home provides stability in both. It is my perception that the A1000 might be less fragile and more durable for mobile or professional use because of their metal cups. While I have never heard A1000s, others have reported them to be virtually indistinguishable from W1000s in use.

IMHO, the W1000 are in an entirely separate class from my Etymotic 4S and I prefer the W1000s whenever practicable.

Feb 5, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

The treble is also more laid back than that of the ETYs

With the A1000's? Not to me. On the system I heard them on it sounded like someone turned the treble switch all the way up. It must be a result of system synergy.
Got another chance to listen to the Cd 3000's on Monday, amped and unamped. I agree about the soundstage and then articulation, but I didn't find much bass at all. Makes sense why I found them really bright with some of the amps I heard them with. When the bass is boosted everything else is as well, so the disparity between the highs and the bass still exists, except with the EMP.
Good phones if you like the highs, and definitely comfortable, but not my cup of tea, I still like the 225's.

Feb 5, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by hadron
bangraman, from the photos here, the A1000 pads look to be a bit thicker than the W1000, is this correct? I actually discovered a little blood on my left anthelix (the ear's outermost protrusion) the other day, strange since I didn't notice any contact while listening, it was in the shower the next morning... The really odd thing is that the drivers are angled and I can't figure what part was rubbing. Can replacement pads be ordered?

Nadim, the W1000 pad's inner diameter is 2 1/8" (54 mm).

Cool, thanks for the info! I guess that they'll fit nicely over my (apparently small) ears, because my current crappy aiwa cans are about 2 1/16" at the widest point, and fit fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nadim

Feb 5, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #42 of 60
My W1000s arrived this afternoon..I've only listened to them for about half an hour (snuck out during lunch), but initial impressions w/ Lloyd Peppard's Ear+ amp are fabulous..beautifully built, very comfortable and great to listen to: not nearly as dark as the Senn HD600, with highs that don't grate on the eardrums like the Grado <insert model #>.

- Wasif

Feb 5, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #43 of 60
Replying to a couple of posts, the A1000 pads aren't significantly different in thickness. It's just that the pads earholes are ear-shaped ovals. The A1000 has a 'just fit' oval, while the A900 pad is slightly wider but same height. I have to struggle for a while before I get a comfortable position on the 2002. AS far as I know, the shape of the W1000 pads is the same as the W2002. I don't remember this much struggle to the similarly padded W100. With 1000 and the 900, you just put them on and that's it.
The A1000's are not any more durable than the W's. The reason being that I think they wouldn't have used a particularly tough grade of Ti. And it's probably inferior Russian or Chinese Ti anyway. Ti is very strong in a suitable structure but without additional (expensive) treatment it's not particularly scratch or dent proof. The only advantage is that you can bend it back!

Feb 5, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #44 of 60
Titanium is very strong for its weight but is by no means the strongest metal alloy. I seriously doubt the titanium utilized in the ART series is very durable at all. It does sound very high-tech though, similar to all these manufacturers labelling their products "digital ready"
tongue.gif

BTW, it's interesting to hear that a couple of you W1000s owners completely prefer the sonic qualities of the ATs over the Etys. The Etys are known for their wonderful detail, clarity and relative neutrality. Would it be fair to say that the W1000s are full size Etys with some added warmth, wide soundstage and visceral bass?

Feb 5, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Blighty
Would it be fair to say that the W1000s are full size Etys with some added warmth, wide soundstage and visceral bass?

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back