What equipment do you use for your headphone listening?
Feb 2, 2015 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ScoHo

New Head-Fier
So I've been thinking about upgrading my headphones as my modded JVC HARX900 have treated me well for a few years now, but I feel like I'm ready.  Been looking at something like the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650.

But I'm more curious about what people use to drive headphones like that.  A PC with an amp/dac?  A home theater type receiver with/without a dedicated headphone amp?

I have an old 80GB iPod Video (5th gen I believe) that I was wondering if I would be able to use that as my dedicated headphone listening device if I get an amp/line in/dac for it.  Or will I get better SQ with a PC and amp/dac?  Or what about an older Android tablet that I have?  Do the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 need more to power them?

And yes, all of the music I listen to is lossless (for my iPod I use Rock Box to achieve this).

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 6
I think you do need an amp/DAC combo that would fit your budget. Once you get that, the source will become irrelevant (except for cables/connectors etc).

In general, sound card DACs (even "good" ones) are not considered up to snuff with dedicated DAC devices.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 6
No, unless you believe that iPod's built-in DAC is inadequate. In fact, depending on your budget, it may be a better strategy to invest in a decent amp then to get a cheap amp and a cheap DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back