What equipment do I need?
Dec 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

o0Slickman0o

New Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my music listening experience. I currently use on-board audio with some relatively decent headphones (sennheiser pro 280), but as you probably understand it is not quite there in terms of music playback quality. What I am looking for, is new headphones and something that will compliment them. I Would also like something that is semi-portable, something I can connect to a different computer easily when I need to (Like an iMac). I have looked into USB interfaces but all of them seem to be build with recording in mind, features that I will most likely not use. Basically what piece of equipment will make a great pair of headphones sound the way they where meant to?  

After doing some research, I am still quite confused on what exactly I should be looking for. I am quite certain that something like an ASUS Xonar Essence ST would do the job well, but I do not get the portability I would have liked. What I am stuck on is: will something like a NuForce Icon HDP High Performance Headphone Amp, DAC and Pre amplifier  (not particularly this one, just using it as an example) do the job? Is that basically just a "sound card" that plugs in through USB instead of PCI? Or is it just an amp that will use my on-board sound? Is something like that portable, will I be able to just plug it into my Mac or laptop? Lastly, my roommate wants to buy a turn table, will I be able to use the AMP for that too?  

I apologize for the amount of questions, but I am new to this, and cant seem to find an answer. Please don't concentrate on specific products just yet (the ones I mentioned are for example), I simply want to understand what I should be looking for.  

Thank you.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 6
What is your budget?

The O2 amp + ODAC Combo and a pair of Sennheiser Momentums would probably suit you very well.

Total Cost:
Around $700 or less

A less expensive option would be to go with an external and portable Amp/DAC like the Total Bithead and mate it up with something like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Logitech UE6000.

Total Cost:
$350 or less

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 6
If you like Sennheiser and feel as if it's a safe direction to go, then go for it. (HD 800 is one of my favorites)

The O2 amp + ODAC Combo is good.
NuForce Icon HDP is good (also said by 6moons) can run anything Sennheiser has up until the HD 650. HD800 sounds bad on them.
Xonar Essence STX is good too.
Schiit Modi/Magni is OK.

I've had them all, if you had a little more to spend, then i'd recommend the essence one over them all.

Headphone wise, i can't recommend you anything since i don't want to persuade you to buy something that you might end up hating.
Having said that, you should listen to a few (or buy and return a few) until you find one that you like.
That way you can tell us that you need, for example: more treble, bass, etc. Then we can recommend you a brand of headphones in the direction that you need to go.

cheers,

Tim

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 6
Ok, before talking actual equipment, I need to brush up on the basics. What I want to be clear on is, exactly what is, something like, a NuForce Icon HDP?. I see that it is a Headphone Amp, DAC and Pre amplifier, is that the same thing as something like Xonar Essence STX, or do i need both? Is is just like a "sound card" that is USB instead of PCI? 

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 6
OK, after watching a very informative video on YouTube about the NuForce Icon HDP, I think I understand how things work. Now about what equipment i should buy:
I currently have:
-Sennheiser pro 280
-Monster Turbine Pro Copper IEM's
-Running on on-board sound. 

Music playback and video games, all through headphones, don't really use speakers. 
I do not need the 7.1 of a sound card. 
No real budget, it all depends on whether it is worth it. Although I will say that I am not ready for the real high end stuff, HD800 is a little too much, HD650 on the other hand is about right.
The NuForce Icon HDP is looking extremely good right now, mainly because I read a lot of good things about it and the portability is excellent.
Type of music is something that is hard for me to say: I listen to pretty much everything, but if I had to choose a direction for sound, I would have to say clarity. Overall balanced sound. I do like me some bass but it is not the most important thing for me. 
If you guys need more info, please ask. 

thank you. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
OK, after watching a very informative video on YouTube about the NuForce Icon HDP, I think I understand how things work. Now about what equipment i should buy:
I currently have:
-Sennheiser pro 280
-Monster Turbine Pro Copper IEM's
-Running on on-board sound. 

Music playback and video games, all through headphones, don't really use speakers. 
I do not need the 7.1 of a sound card. 
No real budget, it all depends on whether it is worth it. Although I will say that I am not ready for the real high end stuff, HD800 is a little too much, HD650 on the other hand is about right.
The NuForce Icon HDP is looking extremely good right now, mainly because I read a lot of good things about it and the portability is excellent.
Type of music is something that is hard for me to say: I listen to pretty much everything, but if I had to choose a direction for sound, I would have to say clarity. Overall balanced sound. I do like me some bass but it is not the most important thing for me. 
If you guys need more info, please ask. 

thank you. 

Yes, you should not go $500+ items, start out with the mid/upper entry items before you dig in deeper (that's what she said) as your hobby.

The HDP is good indeed. It has a well balanced sound without a hint of fatigue. It's mids/highs/lows are greatly balanced, very clear, and punchy bass (depends on headphone/speakers also)
If you are interested in the HDP and don't mind buying a used one let me know. I am selling one along with a Sigma 11 power supply designed for it. (15v)

You can't really fail with entry level components, they're usually all around the same level. You just have to find what you can make most out of. For me, my entry and was the HDP. DAC/AMP/PREAMP for powered speakers was a win in my book.

And if you plan on using IEM's, you need amp that isn't too heavy on the gain.

HD650 is good if you like laid back, smooth sound. HD600 if you're more of a neutral vocal listener.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back