What EQ do you use for your iPod?
Mar 25, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use rock. With no EQ the music sounds lifeless. I really don't care EQ it's artificial, it makes the music sound better to me.

You'd be amazed how your ears 'get used' to having the EQ set to none when your used to the 'apparent' depth one feels the in built EQ gives you.

whats more amazing is when you go back to ANY Eq setting and you wonder how you ever listen to music in that way

Mar 25, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

I use rock. With no EQ the music sounds lifeless. I really don't care EQ it's artificial, it makes the music sound better to me.

You'd be amazed how your ears 'get used' to having the EQ set to none when your used to the 'apparent' depth and weight of bassline/topend one feels the in built EQ gives you - depending on setup (especially with use of decent amp) - you'll still hear the depth and weight on a zero setting - only more natural and much more silky smooth.

whats even more amazing is when you go back to ANY EQ setting after your ears are in tune with the zero setting - you wonder how you EVER listened to music in that way in the first place.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bunsco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd be amazed how your ears 'get used' to having the EQ set to none when your used to the 'apparent' depth and weight of bassline/topend one feels the in built EQ gives you - depending on setup (especially with use of decent amp) - you'll still hear the depth and weight on a zero setting - only more natural and much more silky smooth.

whats even more amazing is when you go back to ANY EQ setting after your ears are in tune with the zero setting - you wonder how you EVER listened to music in that way in the first place.

Been there done that. When I first got my first iPod I had the EQ off for about a month. Hated the sound that was coming out. Changed it to Rock and haven't looked back since. I'm buy no means a "naturalist" when it comes to my listening preference. I love my sound colored.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #20 of 32
No EQ at all for me.

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hate the built in EQ on the ipod, so I don't use it. It sounds artificial almost...

Well, that's basically what EQ's do
wink.gif

Quote:

Yeah, before I found good headphones, I used the Rock EQ to compensate for how bad the headphones were. Like I've said before, if you have to EQ your headphones, than you don't like the headphones stock.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, before I found good headphones, I used the Rock EQ to compensate for how bad the headphones were. Like I've said before, if you have to EQ your headphones, than you don't like the headphones stock.

That's good for you!

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 32
EQ off

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #26 of 32
Almost any EQ setting on the iPod will cause the signal to clip since there is no built-in preamp adjustment like there is in iTunes (damn it Apple, are you listening!). I have to lower the gain on all my files, which is a real pain. But in my opinion, unless you're listening to a perfectly neutral system through the world's flattest, non-colored phones, EQ is a necessary evil.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost any EQ setting on the iPod will cause the signal to clip since there is no built-in preamp adjustment like there is in iTunes (damn it Apple, are you listening!). I have to lower the gain on all my files, which is a real pain. But in my opinion, unless you're listening to a perfectly neutral system through the world's flattest, non-colored phones, EQ is a necessary evil.

When you say "clip" do you mean distort?

I use ER4P's at 75% volume on "Hip Hip" setting and they don't distort one bit. It's clean.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #28 of 32
I have the eq set to flat (off) on my iPod...

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say "clip" do you mean distort?

I use ER4P's at 75% volume on "Hip Hip" setting and they don't distort one bit. It's clean.

It probably depends on the source music you're listening to, but the Hip-Hop setting gives you about a +6dB boost in the bass if I'm not mistaken, which should be enough to make the loudest notes in most modern bass-heavy music distort. This would happen if you used too much +dB EQ on any system, not just the iPod. But since you can't reduce the preamp gain or have user-adjustable +/- dB settings, it's especially prevalent on the iPod. Audio engineers jump in here if I'm way off base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back