What encoder/ripper to use
Aug 19, 2004 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

marmul

100+ Head-Fier
Hello headfier's. I am not sure that this is the correct forum but here goes.

I wanted to start my MP3 library all over. I want to rip my cd's with the best possible encoder out there. I will be using these files in an Ipod so tagging properly is also very important.

I currently use Freerip and it work well for me. Is there anything else out ther that I should use?

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Exact Audio Copy aka. EAC is one of the best rippers because of good error correction and accurate ripping methods. And if something still goes wrong with the process, it will notice you unlike many other rippers.

If you want MP3's, use the LAME encoder. Newest stable version is 3.96.1, but some prefer version 3.90.3. Use the application presets for best sound quality for the bitrate (the presets have been carefully tuned).

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de for EAC
http://www.rarewares.org for encoders including LAME

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 14
I believe most people use Exact Audio Copy with LAME encoder (3.90.3 I think is the one that is trusted most currently).

EDIT: Man, somebody types fast!! :p

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 14
EAC is the best software (with Plextools for Plextor drives). Not that easy to set up, but it's the most accurate. Do you want lossy or lossless encoding?

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 14
What breez said is pretty much right-on. Go get EAC (I use v0.95 Prebeta 5 because Prebeta 11 did not work right on my system or wasn't stable) and LAME 390.3 and go to town. Use one of the following presets:

--alt-preset standard (VBR files averaging ~190 kbit/s; excellent quality)

--alt-preset extreme (VBR files averaging ~250 kbit/s; slightly larger file size than "standard" but also slightly higher quality)

--alt-preset insane (CBR files @ 320 kbit/s; largest MP3 file size of all, but also the highest possible quality)

I'd recommend trying all 3 before you encode your entire collection. Pick 1 of your favorite albums and rip it 3 seperate times, using each of the presets above. Listen carefully to a few songs from the album and compare them with the identical songs ripped at another bitrate. Chances are you won't be able to tell the difference between any of them--if you do, either you have extremely good equipment or it's a psychological thing (your mind telling you that the files ripped @ 320 have to sound better).

A lot of people can't tell the difference between a high quality MP3 and the actual CD track...so for the sake of file size and space savings, you should find the bitrate where the music stops sounding any better and you can no longer tell a difference, and rip your collection with those settings.

Personally, I ripped everything @ 320 kbit/s using the "insane" preset. I can't tell a difference from the "extreme" preset, but I have tons of hard drive space and I figured if I ever get much better audio gear than I have now, I might be glad I ripped at the higher bitrate.
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by marmul
Thanks for the speedy responses. I do not know what lossy or lossless mean, can you explain?

Most encoding (incl. mp3) compresses by throwing away data that human ears cannot hear... but lossless keeps EVERYTHING while compressing.

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Like everyone else, I use EAC with LAME. I use --alt-preset standard because despite careful listening tests, I have never heard any improvement using higher encoding rates. Most devices nowdays handle VBR encoded MP3s just fine, but is always a good to check.

Are you planning to listen to your MP3s from your computer or from other MP3 players. Many people here like Foobar2000 as their software based MP3 player. I just started using it myself.

If you plan on listening to your MP3s on MP3 CDs or other portable devices you should consider using MP3Gain on your MP3 files. I use it, in the "Album" analysis mode, to equalize the volume of my tracks and to insure that there is no clipping. Most other volume equalizers use a "peak detection" method which is not as useful. Using MP3Gain decreases the likelihood of having to adjust your volume every time a new track is played because they were recorded on the original CD at vastly different levels.

-Z

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 14
Notice that marmul wants files for his/her ipod, which rules out many formats. Ipod however supports AAC (probably better than MP3 at least with lower bitrates) and Apple Lossless which should be considered too. Like with MP3 encoders, quality of AAC encoders vary quite much so the choice of encoder should be done with care if AAC is chosen.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #13 of 14
Anyone have (or know where) any sample music file formats to compare?
I'm really curious to see if it would be worth for me to consider going to FLAC from 192 kbps MP3. Or even OGG for that matter...

I'd still need MP3 as my CD/MP3 player only supports that.

Oh and also info on file sizes to compare would be helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richteralan
heard some iPods can support OGG?

maybe i mis-heard...

With the Linux for iPod project it is possible, but the CPU on the iPod has some memory issues that make it impossible to decode ogg faster than 80% realtime (i.e. for every second it's decoding it only decodes .8 seconds of audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back