What else sounds like Horror Show by Iced Earth?
Jan 26, 2011 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

b0ck3n

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!

A few weeks back I was loading my Iphone and decided to dust off my old Horror Show cd and I was astounded by how great it is! I've listened to all Iced Earth albums, save for The Dark Saga, but nothing else they've made comes close.

So I'm wondering if anyone can point out some other great albums that are in the same genre. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Uh.... Iced Earth is not a very talented band, but even so they had done a remarkable job to create a unique blend of thrash/power/heavy metal that no other band has. So it wouldn't be easy to find a band that sounds like them. You can try checking out Demons & Wizards which features Iced Earth's Jon Schaffer. If you are just looking for some darker power metal you can check out Virgin Steele, Blind Guardian, Wuthering Heights and Falconer .

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah I didn't really enjoy anything they recorded before or after Horror Show, that seems to be a one-off. But I think you nailed it by calling it "darker power metal", and I'll definitely check out your suggestions. Any specific albums I should have in mind?

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Virgin Steele - Invictus
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
Wuthering Heights - Far From the Madding Crowd
Falconer - Falconer

Also get Kamelot - The Black Halo.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Probably not the closest match, but Jon Schaffer has a solo project called "Sons of Liberty."  Its different and very political, but pretty good tunes if you like his style. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks alot guys for your efforts. I have to draw the conclusion that 'Horror Show' is a pretty unique album. The themes featured on it are probably what helped make the songs so great - it's far more creative and, for lack of a better word, inspired, than anything Iced Earth recorded, before or since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back