What else should I listen to?
Sep 2, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ichinichi

1000+ Head-Fier
I know nothing of what's available.

Examples of faves from the small collection I have:

Beethoven Concertos - DG Complete Beethoven Edition
Maroon 5 - It won't be soon before long (as "alternative" (?) as I get)
Diana Krall - Girl in the other room (as "jazz" as I get)

CDs I have and no longer listen to:

Ghostface Killa - Fishscale
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong

Looking to expand my palate. Suggestions?

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 7
Albert Collins - Ice Pickin', Cold Snap, or Live '92-'93
Kind of risky suggestion, but if Maroon 5's stylings do it for you, it would be hard to find a better avenue into blues (and with Diana Krall as a fav, and Sinatra in the dog house, you're begging for it, IMO). They are all sho 'nuff audiphile quality, to boot.

If you like it, pass go and head straight to the Robert Johnson box set, to get a good raw feel.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper through The White Album
Search for the best version(s) to get, but if you don't have these, you need them. If you don't like them now, just give it time. If you like any rock, you will eventually warm up to The Beatles.

More general recommendations, just due to really small collection:
Alan Parsons project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Oddball one, but definitely an accessible work by the shy master and his minions. This is more of a general recommendation, but if you don't find them until too late, you'll smack yourself for not picking the stuff up. OTOH, if this album doesn't do it for you, you can stop. If you really like it, then you'd need to start into progressive rock, and definitely check out some space rock.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Half the hard rockers you may ever listen to will point out Tull as a major influence. Aqualung is fantastic and accessible. They're generally mellow and bluesy, unlike the grunge and metal guys they seem to have inspired. Nobody else has quite the same kind of sound.

Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')
For those days when you dream you're an Eskimo named Nanook, and some hustler tries to sell you shaving cream...and when you can't decide what kind of poncho that is.

That's about it, without going hard and/or heavy (I mean, how else can I make an excuse to not plug Alice In Chains?).

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks, cerbie! i'm gonna take you up on albert collins.

edit: listened to some snippets of cold snap on amazon sampler. i feel the tempo is not quite right for me. a little slow ... or something.

as for beatles, i just hate how the old recordings sound - got any suggestions of particularly "best version(s)"??

as for my small collection, what i've listed is not the complete roster, just what came to mind. but most of it is just the result of me trying things blindly and hating it. maroon 5 was dumb luck and diana krall was just from all the hype that album gets here.

looking forward to your reply!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back