What else? (Noob looking for recommendations)
Feb 8, 2012 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

H3LlIoN

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody....I did some searching and saw some recommendations, but nothing really fit, so here I am.

What I'm looking for:

Over the ear headphones in the ~$100 range, +- $50.
Awesome sound quality (I want it to sound like virgin angels are having sex in my head)
I would prefer a non-foldable design (M50S, etc) unless someone can vouch for durability

What I listen to:
dubstep, old school rap, techno, top 40, classic rock, modern rock...actually, pretty much everything except bluegrass and country.

My intended devices:
iPod
Home stereo receiver

I do not currently have an amp, but would also be looking for a recommendation for that as well.  Same price range...portability is not an issue.  I don't normally travel when I rock, and have access to A/C power. 

As it stands, I'm eyeing the M50S, although it's at the top of my range, but I'm just not sure about durability. 

Any one care to weigh in?  Thanks everybody.

- JM

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 17
I would recommend the Brainwavz HM5, especially if you plan on getting a nice amp for portable use. If you pair them with a great portable amp (think FiiO E17) there's no limit to the value for money that they achieve. Through a good receiver, they make love to anything in the midrange, and bass is always tight and composed. After burn-in there is no harshness in the highs at all, either. These cans make sweet love to almost any noise, and you will not be disappointed. Both the headphone and amp are on the high side of your price range, but you could save some money by going for a FiiO E10 instead (no DAC).

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 17
think he meant "i would recommend the Brainwavz HM5" by the look of the rest of the comment.

i also have a variation of the same headphone (fischer audio FA-003, brainwavz HM5 and lindy HiFi are the same headphone but come with different accessories, i have the lindy ones) and i think they are a bargain. think sennehiser HD600 but much cheaper. i have quite a range of music taste (dubstep, classical, metal, reggae, dance, punk, pop) and they are incredibly versatile and very easy to listen to. i can listen to them without adjusting them for 6 hours or more. 
they do like a bit of power from an amp to tighten up the sound, make it a bit faster, but they sound good without an amp too so no rush to get one.  

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
think he meant "i would recommend the Brainwavz HM5" by the look of the rest of the comment.

Sorry, fixed.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 17
 Found a link for the FA-003's from GD Base. 

Is there a better sounding option for headphone amps in the same rough price range if I'm not worried about portability?

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
 Found a link for the FA-003's from GD Base. 

Is there a better sounding option for headphone amps in the same rough price range if I'm not worried about portability?

Amping style is relatively subjective with any good amp. Are you looking for a home amp, then?

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Amping style is relatively subjective with any good amp. Are you looking for a home amp, then?

Well, sort of.  I'll be living on a boat as of next month.  I'd like something that will drive the crap out of the fa-003's and make them sound even more amazing, but I'd also like something that will handle a set of small bookshelf speakers and a sub (if necessary) so that I can kick it to the speakers when I either don't want to be tethered, or am entertaining.  I haven't settled on speakers/sub yet, so I don't know what kind of power I'll need, but shouldn't be too high....space limits me to bookshelf speakers.  I don't have a preference for digital vs. tube, although I think tube amps are aesthetically pretty sweet, and I've always heard they sound better.  I also need something with inputs...I have a turn table/vinyl collection.  My current tt doesn't have an amp built in, so I have to have a phono jack, but I'm looking to upgrade my table to something that sounds better (currently running Onkyo CP-1114A that someone was throwing out) and I don't know yet whether or not the new TT will be amped or not.  (I haven't decided on what I'm going to run)  I also might run 4 speakers instead of 2....still working things out.  If I did, I'd like them selectable, A/B so I can control either zone or both.  This wouldn't be critical though. 

As far as what I'm looking at, I've heard the Polk RTi A1's are pretty decent for the price, and the local thrift has a sansui SR-626 on the shelf...just waiting for the price to come down.  They're asking $85 and I think that's high...doesn't have the dust cover.

Once I have that sorted out, then I'll be looking for something portable for around town, but at that point, I'll be looking at hifiman, etc for something better than my nano any way. 

Thanks for all the input, guys.  If any one wants to throw out suggestions for TT's and speakers too, I'll take those as well, even though we're in headphones.  I'd rather that then clutter up with 4 separate threads. 

- H3

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 17
I don't use headphone amps with me speaker setups, so I couldn't give any advice on something that does both well. As for pure headphone amps, the FiiO E7/E9 is a legendary budget amp/DAC combo, going for under $200 for both. The E9 is a great desktop amp, and when combined with the E7 DAC on your computer it makes up for anything your stock sound card is missing. The E7 itself doubles as a portable amplifier, too, for on-the-go use.

Speaking strictly amps (no DAC), the CMoyBB by JDS Labs is a great budget choice at only $60.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 17
Sweet...I'm gonna go ahead and nab the E7/9 combo...Fiio's come up a couple times as highly recommended.  Might grab one of those altoids tins too, just because they look awesome.  Thanks for the recommendations.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 17
I've had experience with both setups, and while the CMoy is better at pure portable amp duties the E7/E9 blows it out of the water as a desktop setup.

Good luck!

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 17
Alright...So I am ready to pull the trigger on the FA-003's, but only outlet I can find is GD-Audiobase, which is out of Russia and price +$35 shipping.  I'm weary of dealing with overseas companies...does any one have a domestic (USA) source for these?  Thanks,

edit: I just did a search on the forums and read up on gd-audio's reputation...now I'm DEFINITELY weary of them.  Any alternatives?

I DID find someone with a pre-order out for the brainwavz, but I kind of like the aesthetics of the fischer's.  Also, Lindy lists as available on the UK site, but not even listed on the US site.

- H3

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 17
How about recommendations for something equally sturdy and great sounding in the <$200 range AFTER shipping, since the FA-003's would have been $190 anyway.  I also prefer something available from a domestic, reputable company.  All the reviews about GD were claiming 2+ month shipping times, if they shipped at all.  Still looking for something closed, full (over-the-ear) design.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 17
Because of criticisms GD really has cleaned up their act. Your order comes with a tracking number when shipped, and email response it phenomenal. I got my FA-003 in less than a month.

However, Fischer now has a US dealer in Musica Acoustics, though their site doesn't really have the FA-003 listed so you have to contact them directly.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #14 of 17
Not sure if you already purchased but take a look at the Ultrasone HFi-580s. Their punchy bass would work well for your music. Otherwise possibly the 780s. They have have less punchy and overall a cleaner bass.

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #15 of 17
Haven't purchased...might hit up musica and see what's up with them.  Will not be purchasing through GD-baseaudio at this point.  Still open to other models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back