What earcup position do you use on your Omega II?
Oct 11, 2007 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, one thing I don't like about the Omega II is that you can't lock in the earcup position. I like the idea of how much you can adjust it, but you have to do this every single time... aagghh! And please, no suggestions that I tape it in the place I like
wink.gif

I'm just curious... from people who've owned them longer than I have, are there any basic rules as to where you should position them (towards the front/back of the head, above/below the center of the ear, and most importantly, the 360 degree inner rotation of the earcup)?

Oct 11, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 22
You can rotate the driver any way you want so that the cables position fits you the best but the ear pad placement is crucial. I have them so the seam faces the temples at a high angle but this will depend on your head.

You should also look into bending the arc assembly to get the perfect fit. You can search for some of my earlier posts on the subject as I'm too tired to repeat it now.

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 22
I position my earcups over my ears.

Ho ho ho.

Similar to Spritzer, the seam up towards the eyes.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should also look into bending the arc assembly to get the perfect fit. You can search for some of my earlier posts on the subject as I'm too tired to repeat it now.

I've tried and I can find a few references to it but not the actual procedure.

Oct 12, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 22
You have to bend the two metal arcs to change the angle of the drivers relative to the ear. You have to find out if it will make much of a difference for you by changing the angle without bending the metal. You can force the phones without breaking the seal around the ear and putting your hands over the grills. If you find the bass a bit overblown or anemic then that is the culprit. If will also change the HF response but not as much.

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 22
Well, I did some listening last night and I have to say that positioning the cups as you guys said (seams toward the temples) has made more of a difference than anything so far. I'm starting to understand why people love these so much.

Why doesn't the literature that comes with the cans say "You will only get 50% of the sound quality if you place these in what would seem like the logical position based on the shape of the cups"?

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 22
I rotate the pads so the seam face forward, in a 50-60 degree upwards angle.
That seems to fit the shape of my head best, and give them a comfortable tight fit.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rotate the pads so the seam face forward, in a 50-60 degree upwards angle.
That seems to fit the shape of my head best, and give them a comfortable tight fit.

That's about where I am now. I was only tilting them back 10 or 15 degrees, which makes ergonomic sense IMO, but gives horribly thin sound.

They still aren't (and probably never will be) as bass heavy as my balanced Sennheiser HD650, but I no longer have the feeling that the bass is "weak".

And it wasn't just the bass... the entire sound was improved. As in "Regularly bringing tears to my eyes" improved.

This should be MANDATORY info in the manual... I can see how people could log 100 hours with these in the wrong position and decide that they are overrated.

Now I'm really thrilled to hear what the difference will be when my Blue Hawaii SE comes in
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'm really thrilled to hear what the difference will be when my Blue Hawaii SE comes in
smily_headphones1.gif

what's the ETA for that thing.

Oct 12, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's the ETA for that thing.

End of the year
frown.gif
. Oh well, good things come to those that... agh, ****** it, I want it now!!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 22
Great to see that you after some trial and error have found a nice fit.
Enjoy! ..and hopefully you will enjoy them even more when the KGBH SE arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 22
from when i had the o2, the key was not the seam, but the thick part of the pad.

the seam is towards your temple, as indicated by others BUT the real key is where the pad sits.

if there is a gap between the pad and your gourd the sound changes SIGNIFICANTLY.

i also liked the headphones pushed as far forwards (so the backs of my ears touched the pads) as possible. they just sounded weird when they were centered on my sensitive bits. i bet the O2 would sound a fair bit better if there were a cut-out in the pad like the gamma has... you can almost get the WHOLE driver in front of your ear on the gamma.

once you get accustomed to putting them on, it REALLY is not necessary to lock them in place. it only takes a moment to get them set up once you know where everything goes.

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
End of the year
frown.gif
. Oh well, good things come to those that... agh, ****** it, I want it now!!!
biggrin.gif

that's not that bad. i thought the wait would be longer. and you have your B52 to keep you occupied in the meantime.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
once you get accustomed to putting them on, it REALLY is not necessary to lock them in place. it only takes a moment to get them set up once you know where everything goes.

True!
Its no hassle at to put them on. It only take 5 seconds to slightly adjust the pads, since they might have moved when you took the phones off/on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back