What Earbuds Should I Buy?
Dec 31, 2007 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MentalEclipse

Head-Fier
I just purchased a "Zune 80" and was thinking about buying new earbuds for portable use & jogging. I don't know very much about earbuds, and I'm not sure what I should be looking at. Here's what I'm looking for...

* Around $100
* Comfort is most important
* Deep bass is essential

Since the "Zune 80" does not feature an "EQ", I'd like to have a pair of earbuds that already increase the bass output. I'm planning on listening to a lot of electronic music (Drum & Bass/Jungle), however I also plan on listening to a good amount of classical music and jazz. Bass is the most important aspect for my tastes, and I'd like to get a pair of earbuds that provide deep bass without the need of an adjustable EQ.

After browsing this website for a while, I came across the "Denon: AH-C700" and they seem to be in my price range. Are these the best for the price, or should I be looking at something else?

Dec 31, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After browsing this website for a while, I came across the "Denon: AH-C700" and they seem to be in my price range. Are these the best for the price, or should I be looking at something else?

They have plenty of bass, but the AH-C551 has quite a bit more bass impact. The C700 is the 'top' model, but because of the discount on Amazon.com is priced around the same as the C551 (the model beneath). If you really need a lot of bass, go for the C551. My b/f is using (has 'stolen') my C551s to use with his Zen Touch, and he's very very happy with the bass he's getting now, as his Zen apparently doesn't output much bass either. He's a basshead who is very hard to satisfy - and these do it for him!

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Kramer Modded JVC Marshmellows with Shure E2C Black silicone tips.

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have plenty of bass, but the AH-C551 has quite a bit more bass impact. The C700 is the 'top' model, but because of the discount on Amazon.com is priced around the same as the C551 (the model beneath). If you really need a lot of bass, go for the C551. My b/f is using (has 'stolen') my C551s to use with his Zen Touch, and he's very very happy with the bass he's getting now, as his Zen apparently doesn't output much bass either. He's a basshead who is very hard to satisfy - and these do it for him!

Thanks for the advice. Though bass is the most important factor to me with earbuds, I do value good overall sound quality. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, and I'd be willing to give up a "little" bass for better overall SQ. Are there any differences between the C700 and AH-C551 other then the Bass?

To Austin 3:16 -

I looked for the Marshmellows on amazon, but the earbuds listed were only about $20. Am I looking at the wrong pair, or do these $20 earbuds really sound that good with the Shure E2C Mod?

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 8
I often ask a variation of this: where / in what environment will you be listening, and would you want the degree of isolation that would be beneficial to listening on an airplane, train, bus or other noisy setting?

I think some kind of in-ear earphones would offer you great portability and versatility ... but keep in mind that isolation and sound signatures vary.

Having said all this, while you're researching what to get, look into the bass-rich Future Sonics Atrio M5s, which offer good isolation and deep (but clear) bass.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB (out on short-term loan)
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB

Dec 31, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MentalEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice. Though bass is the most important factor to me with earbuds, I do value good overall sound quality. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, and I'd be willing to give up a "little" bass for better overall SQ. Are there any differences between the C700 and AH-C551 other then the Bass?

To Austin 3:16 -

I looked for the Marshmellows on amazon, but the earbuds listed were only about $20. Am I looking at the wrong pair, or do these $20 earbuds really sound that good with the Shure E2C Mod?

As long as the volume is at reasonable levels, they seem like a much more expensive pair. They're not what I'd call supurb, but described as "fun". I didn't know bass was possible in a headphone/IEM, but I was proven wrong....big time! I absolutely love them. And if something happens to them (loss, damaged), you're not out much cash.

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 8
I just discovered these two earbuds...

• Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB Earphones
• Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro Earphones

Does anyone have any experience with these? They are a little bit over my budget, but I don't mind paying a little extra if the quality is worth it. Does anyone know how these would compare to the Denon earbuds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back