What drivers/tools do you use for your onboard sound (laptop)?
Dec 25, 2011 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I am turning to you for this problem I have with my laptop, an Asus K53SV. I had to reinstall Windows today as all the bloatware caused the Windows Explorer to stop working (thanks for that Asus). Everything I want is already installed but the sound quality of the onboard chip sounds incredibly bad. My iPod blows it out of the water!

Now, when I bought this it came with different drivers and also with a tool called Asus Sonic Focus. The Sonic Focus was a nice feature as it made my laptop's speakers sound acceptable, though it did not do much for my headphones. Obviously I have sound via the Realtek driver (Asus website) but I am sure things can sound better than this (and I know, as it didn't sound as bad as this before the reinstall).

So then I went searching for these drivers and Asus Sonic Focus, and... I can't find it anywhere... It's not on the Asus website and via Google I only seem to be able to find outdated versions that don't work for some reason... I can't even find the official website of it.

Therefore I will need some new drivers or some other tool so that I can at least listen to music through my laptop. Like I said, even my iPod sounds better than this. There is no bass, mids are completely sucked out and overall the sound reminds me of crappy 2$ buds (regardless of what headphone I use).

Pleasy guys, help me to be able to listen to some music through my laptop again! :wink:

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 6
Ha, faulty chipset driver! I can at least listen to music again, which obviously is great. :wink:

Still, any tips as to how I can improve my onboard sound with this machine are welcome!

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Audio drivers on Asus's website latest version is from July 2011.
Realteks website audio drivers latest version is Dec. 2011

Dec 26, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 6
I know, thanks. I currently have the Realtek drivers installed, but they seem to be identical...

Dec 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Best thing you can do with onboard outside of using the drivers that came with it, is select a player that can use WASAPI with your onboard chip. foobar, ulilith or some other player ought to be able to do this.

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 6
That's a good tip indeed.

I also just bought a quality Technics set from the '90s that I got a very good deal on (SB-CS9 speakers and SU-470 amp). Should be very decent and it also has a headphone out so I should be able to play a little with treble/bass etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back