What does tube rolling mean?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 14
btaki,

Tuberolling started with the action of removing a tube from its rather tight socket. A gentle rocking or rolling motion facilitates the removal of the tube from the socket. Due to the number of pins and sheer grip on each pin a gentle motion resembling rolling the tube in a small circle allows you to remove the tube without damaging the socket, circuit board, or tube.

Tuberolling allows you to tweak the sound of your component to match your particular tastes. Almost any tubed item can have the sound changed rather dramatically by changing tubes to an older tube not available any more. Older Amperex, Siemens, Telefunken and many others are simply FAR superior to what is available today.

Nov 29, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 14
i thought tuberoller was a firefighter. firefighters roll up hoses (tubes), hence the name. must be one of those double-entendre things i've heard so much about...

Nov 29, 2003 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 14
It's the act of rolling a tube, on it's side, across a solid surface (such as a tabletop). A tube is judged by it's speed, consistency and ability to roll straight. Straight-rolling tubes are balanced sounding. Tubes that turn towards the pins (bottom), tend to be bassier. Tubes that turn towards the top tend to place emphasis more on the higher-frequencies. Slow, syrupy tubes will roll slowly, while fast, detailed tubes will roll quick! Perfectly formed tubes (perfectly smooth circle on the rolling axis) will sound pure and clear, while slightly imperfect tubes will be grainy.

Tuberolling is such a great pasttime that there are a few manufacturers who still make tubes today. In fact, many of these current production tubes are good only for rolling across tables. Unfortunately the amount of good, perfectly rolling tubes from the height of the tube-era are fading fast, as they only have a limited-rolling lifetime (accidents do happen, they are made of glass). As they say: "The transistors killed the tuberolling star".

-dd3mon

Nov 29, 2003 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 14
eek.gif

I fervently hope that that was a joke about rolling tubes all over the place
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL

Nov 29, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
It's the act of rolling a tube, on it's side, across a solid surface (such as a tabletop). A tube is judged by it's speed, consistency and ability to roll straight. Straight-rolling tubes are balanced sounding. Tubes that turn towards the pins (bottom), tend to be bassier. Tubes that turn towards the top tend to place emphasis more on the higher-frequencies. Slow, syrupy tubes will roll slowly, while fast, detailed tubes will roll quick! Perfectly formed tubes (perfectly smooth circle on the rolling axis) will sound pure and clear, while slightly imperfect tubes will be grainy.

Tuberolling is such a great pasttime that there are a few manufacturers who still make tubes today. In fact, many of these current production tubes are good only for rolling across tables. Unfortunately the amount of good, perfectly rolling tubes from the height of the tube-era are fading fast, as they only have a limited-rolling lifetime (accidents do happen, they are made of glass). As they say: "The transistors killed the tuberolling star".

-dd3mon

An excellent observation. May I ask -- in your experience which sort of tubes have better sound, those with a twisty little flourish at top or those with a round nub?

Nov 29, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
I fervently hope that that was a joke about rolling tubes all over the place
smily_headphones1.gif

My cat is one of the best tube rollers I've ever seen. He uses dd3mon's methods.

[size=xx-small]I'd put a smiley on this, but I've chased too many tubes just as they were scooting across the table to laugh[/size]

Nov 30, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 14
I'm still waiting for an answer From Tuberoller himself. It's a shame he doesn't want to answer
frown.gif

But he'll have to bare the consequences of me taking his picture about a half dozen times in the next meet.
NB: Fred doesn't like his picture taken too much .

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 14
I wonder how many tubes are going to get cracked because of this thread? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back