What does this unit do exactly?
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

carlmart

100+ Head-Fier
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 13
It belongs to the purpose.

As it's written:
Plays music from a attached usb-device, up to 32GB, to a connected dac/amp.
On the other hand, it shall be able to convert an analog input to a digital output, that makes it a ADC.

For what it is supposed to do, i wouldn't recommend to jump on. :wink:

What will be the use case for such a device by your friend?

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 13
What is the source component of his system?
Is he using streaming services, pc, smartphone or something?
Is pairing via bluetooth necessary?

So we can enclose the field of components he needs. :wink:

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 13
That is the problem. He was thinking of using a mini-PC, but I don't think he will be able to. Because we can't find the model, only the brand.

OTOS I don't think that unit is worth investing in internal HD/SSD, memory, external screen and power supply.

I've seen that independent and separate units are called DAPs (digital audio players). Would you agree that might be better option?

Which would you recommend? It should be capable of playing PCM, WAV, FLAC high resolution, not MP3. Remember the idea is to replace or surpass a CD player.

Jul 13, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 13
A RasperryPi connected via USB to a DAC is a good solution.
Or the formentioned DAP. Even an old used V30 is capable to do the job. :wink:
With a Qi Charging stand, you'll have a great music player, which is able to use streaming services or youtube as source player.

Setup will be:
V30 via usb into a dac into the amp. That's all.

Edit:
A small Intel-Nuc is suitable also.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 13
Depends on the budget.

Sony makes the HAP series,S1 and Z1. I know guys in the industry who swear by the Z1.
You can also Google "music server" Like what I have,Aurender N100H or the BlueSound Node or Vault or others.
Or you can go low budget and just use a normal PC,or a NUC. A standard PC can be prone to noise.

There are lots of options out there.

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #10 of 13
I don't know yet about my friend's chain.

I assembled my system with a Raspberry ethernet connected to my PC, soon to win a dedicated server. For now I'm using my PC as server.

My program of choice for the Rasp was Picorepalyer with LMS, because I didn't want to use a cell phone as remote. The output from the Rasp is a Topping D50.

Tried to use other programs that allowed to use a simple RC, but with little luck. If you have experience with other system you may suggest please do so.

Anyway, that is not the system for my friend. He's not willing to use a network from his computer. He prefers a system that does it all, like the one he had suggested at the beginning of this topic.

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 13
I known you on that point.

But what is the budget of such a system?
What he is feeding with?
How does his system looks at the moment?
We need a point to start with and need how it ends up. :wink:

The FiiO M6 looks like a good start, paired with an amp which goes to . . . . . ?

Is it meant for a speaker setup or a headphone station? With an avr or an (headphone)amp?

Please give more input on that, bc it's hard to figure out where the journey is going to. :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 13
To start with it's exclusively a speaker system, never whatsoever will a headphone enter that system. My friend makes high quality speakers, and he abhors headphones.

Always a power amp, usually Luxman, sometimes another similar good quality one. Never a preamp, never a receiver. He only used a preamp in LP times, but now he feeds the CD player, lately a Marantz, directly into the power amp.

He has compared it with and without the Luxman preamp, and direct feed was always better. Level is controlled digitally from the Marants, with the RC. Bypassing the pot at the Luxman power amp.

It wouldn't be different with this new system.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 13
Such devices like the FiiO M6/9, which are daps in gerneral, are what you're looking for.
While it is sitting on the desk and connected to the amp, you can control it remote from your smartphone to play/pause/skip tracks, adjusting the volume and so on.

Maybe someone with better knownledge in daps could chime in for help.

All the best and have a great day.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back