What, does this only happen to me? Im really pissed off.
Mar 3, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

smileystevenvivi

New Head-Fier
My shures are breaking after 5 months the same way my old ones broke. Static sound.

I use to buy these crappy 12.99 sony earbuds that would last about 3 months then after that, everytime you twist the cord it would create a static noise in the music and you would sometimes lose sound in one ear, so I had to keep it still or it my music would lose sound in one ear which was uber annoying.

Now its happening to my shure e2cs that about 5 months ago. Whenever I twist the knob, it creates those dumb noise that really irritates me and prevents me from enjoying my music. I use an iriver clix mp3 btw. Does this happen to anyone? How long did your shures last you before it started going awol.

Now Im gonna have to send this in repair which is dumb. UGH. I didnt pay 90$ for this to happen to me. Im thinking of going v modas now.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 25
Hey, hope you don't end up like me.
  1. AKG K701 sent back for rattling driver
  2. UE 5 Pro sent back three times now for cracking housing

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 25
How do you exactly keep things in your pockets and so on? There is a way that could damage the cord over time without you noticing.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure makes a quality cord. You're the one doing something wrong. Abusing them, mistreating them. You're probably pulling the IEM out of your ear by the cord instead of by the actual earphone.

This is with the jack, not the earbud connection.

Lots of econo-class earbuds (such as a ton of lower-end Sennheisers) suffer from a bad headphone jack which shorts out a channel intermittently after a short period of time.

Among IEMs I've only heard of this problem coming from the Shure E2.

Remember, the E2's are just fairly cheap earbuds in disguise.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 25
I dont abuse my stuff. And there is no way I could pull them out seeing how they are wrapped around my ear and it would probably be painful. I put my sennheiser 280 pros in and they didnt make ANY crackling noise as I twisted the jack all around like a thousand times. Im uber pissed, this will probably happen again. It cant be the mp3 player since 280 pros work perfectly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure makes a quality cord. You're the one doing something wrong. Abusing them, mistreating them. You're probably pulling the IEM out of your ear by the cord instead of by the actual earphone.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 25
IEM is quite vulnerable compared to headphones. I found I need extra care for using them. That's why I did not replace my Shure E2G, sold iM716 and dumped JVC mashmellow.

If you need extra portable, you may try Senn HD25 (even more durable than HD280 I heard)

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Remember, the E2's are just fairly cheap earbuds in disguise.

That probably is not too far from the truth. to the OP, I never had a problem with the jack end of my e2c.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 25
I had, and not only I had problem with my Jack end, I also had problem with connection issue between cord and the IEM.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #12 of 25
Say what you will about the audio quality of the E2C but I take them to the gym 5-6 days a week. They have not only survived the sweat, grime and abuse for the past 2 years but have given me great performance while doing so. I roll these things up everyday into my nasty sweats and forget about them until the next day. Great little buggers.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 25
wait youre saying you gety static when you rotate the jack in the plug? becuase lots of plugs do that....solution? dont twist the plug. my sonys did that in my discman, but not in my soundcard, or my phone....go figure.

im not trying to be mean, but this sounds like a case of "doctor it hurts when i touch here!" "then dont touch there!"

if youre talking about cutting in/out of one of the channels when you jiggle the cord in the jack, or stuff like that i can see where youre coming from though. Sure are good people, talk to them aboot it.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by smileystevenvivi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now Im gonna have to send this in repair which is dumb. UGH. I didnt pay 90$ for this to happen to me.

One of the things that you get for your money when you buy Shures is the best warranty on the entire market.

My E4 recently developed a similar problem. I printed out the warranty return sheet, filled it out, and popped them in the mail. It took about 3 minutes, and I should have a brand-new replacement set within a few days. Is it frustrating that the problem occurred? Sure. Is it worth getting too riled up about? No. Given the nature of the way IEMs are used, these types of failures are bound to happen from time. With Shures, at least you have the comfort of knowing that the company will stand behind the product.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 25
What the hell? ? Like ive stated before I walk with these and it never happened before, but now its all of a sudden starting up again and I feel like Im cursed. And how the hell can I prevent the jack from rotating when I walk to school with these everyday? I constantly reach into my jacket pocket all the time so its OBVIOUSLy gonna rotate. Am I suppose to be SUPER CAUTIOUS and make sure to carefully reach into my pocket and prevent it from spinning? NO.
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait youre saying you gety static when you rotate the jack in the plug? becuase lots of plugs do that....solution? dont twist the plug. my sonys did that in my discman, but not in my soundcard, or my phone....go figure.

im not trying to be mean, but this sounds like a case of "doctor it hurts when i touch here!" "then dont touch there!"

if youre talking about cutting in/out of one of the channels when you jiggle the cord in the jack, or stuff like that i can see where youre coming from though. Sure are good people, talk to them aboot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back