what does this mean? (KSC-75s are amazing!!)
Oct 30, 2005 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

killer_deep

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

Being a poor student, I started out in the headphone purchasing business pretty small. I grabbed a Sennheiser HD201 + Turtle Beach Audio Advantage USB card, and I enjoyed the sound quite a bit. So I thought, well, why not update my crappy Sony street style portables with some KSC-75s, because they're universally highly regarded and cheap? And, my god... these headphones sound absolutely phenomenal out of the TBAA card. Just plain phenomenal. So... now I (invariably) want more. What should be my next purchase that improves upon the KSC-75 sound? Grado SR-60s? Alessandro MS-1s? I don't like too much treble, especially when it makes cymbals sound tinny or harsh. And, I listen to music for 5-6 hours each day, so these phones need to be comfortable and non-fatiguing. What would you experts suggest?

As well, can anyone give me some adjectives that describe the sound of the KSC75s? Bright, forward, treble/midrange-emphasized, balanced, etc? Its hard to read some of the expert posts without having experienced the described types of sound.

Thank you,
Sandeep

Oct 30, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 46
The general upgrade path from the 75 sound seems to be into the grado/alessandro line. Both cans you mentioned are quite good, and I would recommend you pick up the MS-1 if you can spare the $. They are my favourite can.

Lets see if I can't help you out with some terms (feel free to correct me, Im new)
treble - the high portion in sounds
midrange - the middle frequencies
bass - the lower, or deeper sounds
balanced - either the cans do well in all of the highs/mids/lows, or they have been recabled with xlr ends (Could mean either)
bright - generally refers to an emphasised upper range (or highs)
forward - hard to describe; I can recognize it but probably cannot accurately portray it

Oct 30, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 46
you said you want something comfortable and non-fatiguing...these are unfortunately Grado/Alessandro's weak points.

people are generally fine with the fit and fatigue, but in terms of the volume of complaints in those areas, the Grado design beats out any other brand.

no one would argue that Grado/Alessandro sounds good, but a good number of people are turned off from the comfort level and overall fatigue after prolonged use.

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 46
I would buy the Grado model as high as you can afford (HF-1 is now the sweet spot in the line up
biggrin.gif
) from a dealer who allows a 30-day return window like Todd the Vinyl Junkie or Headroom. You only have shipping costs to lose, but you will be able to definitively know if the Grado sound (and comfort) is for you.

Good luck!

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 46
I'd love to grab the HF-1, but $100US is pretty much my upper limit at the moment, so thats why I'm looking closely at the SR60 and MS1. I've heard that the SR60 isn't enough of a jump from the KSC75s, so its looking more and more like I'll be grabbing the MS1s. If there are any other phones from other manufacturers in and around $100US that resemble the KSC75s, I'd love to know.

Thanks,
Sandeep

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 46
ksc75 are forward an fun sounding. An upgrade with simular sort of sound wil be the grado/alessandro line.
I'd just enjoy the ksc75s for a bit before you upgrade. Everything from here are going to be much smaller steps unless you go straight up to the big $$$s.

Oct 30, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 46
A lot of head-fiers who owned KSC35's (similar or same to KSC75) also had Sony V6/7506's in their inventory.

Comfort is very good, ear pads are cushy and head band has some padding (unlike grados). Pleather ear pads may lead to sweaty ears in warm temperatures, but that can be fixed my modded the phones with Beyer 250 velour ear pads.

The sound is on the analytical side but has decent bass extension. Some people think the mids can get a little drowned out by shrill highs, but I think that can be attributed to recordings most of the time. Note that these headphones are a standard in many radio stations, recording studios, DJ's layout, etc.

I would definitely give them a try if you are able to audition them. You can try local music instrument retailers that sell DJ or concert equipment. The V6 is the consumer model, 7506 is commercial (both are basically the same, but V6 much cheaper ~$65).

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by killer_deep
Are there any other cans that sound like a better version of the KSC-75s out there, that aren't Grado/Alessandro?

Nope... Don't even bother with anything else if you like the Koss. Up the ante with an MS2, HF1, or MS1. IMHO these are the sweetspots in the under $300 Grado lineup. They all represent great values at their respective price points.

Honorable mention goes to the K240s, but IMHO its noticeably less refined / tight sounding than any of the fore-mentioned Grados. Substantially less dynamic than any Grado too.

IMHO of course.
Garrett

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 46
Thanks Kramer.

I was thinking about the K240S as well, but I've heard repeatedly that it requires an amp to sing, and I'd rather not worry about that.

The MS1 on the other hand, I've read, sound pretty good unamped.

Now I just hope someone will reply to my "willing to buy" thread so I can avoid Canadian taxes and the reputed Alessandro wait
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks,
Sandeep

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 46
Ya know, from what I've read, I wonder if the Grado PS-1 might not be what Koss KSC-75 sound like taken to its ultimate level...

Oct 31, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 46
I'm a canuck who recently (about a month ago) bought a set of ms-1s (which i'm loving) as an upgrade to my ksc-35s and i ended up not paying any tax and only had to wait about 10 days for delivery.

I would definatly recommend just biting the bullet and ordering them directly from Allessandro. You might save a few bucks getting them used off a fellow head-fier, but i think the satisfaction of opening the box to a brand new set of MS-1s is worth the extra cash.

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #14 of 46
Hello,

I have the KSC75's as well and have tried the SR80's, SR60's, SR125's, Sony V6's, various sub $100 Sennheisers, etc. If you really like the KSC75's, I'd venture to say that you in all likelihood will NOT like the sub $100 Grado line or the Sony V6's. I'm not going to say I'm an audiophile, especially when you see the term bandied about on various review sites by people who use the term liberally to describe themselves, but I have auditioned MANY headphones.

While the Grados are more musical compared to the V6's which are for critical listening, the grados are not nearly as "musical" or dynamic sounding to the average listener as the KSC75's. The Grados definitely have better definition than the Koss, however, my guess is what you like about your KSC75's is probably the mid-bass (a term I find rarely mentioned on these forums, strangely) and very good low bass extension that gives your music an overall rich and thick sound.

I personally find the KSC75's bass a little much at times, boomy and breaks up the clarity of the midrange, but with the Grados I've tried, they sounded like the bottom end fell out. So if you do not want to lose any of the bass you're getting out of the KSC75's, I'd look past Grados. Sennheisers have better bass than the Grados but lack the extension you'll get on certain tracks with the KSC75's that make it seem like you can almost feel the air around your ears moving. Furthermore, none of the cans mentioned here are driven as effortlessly as the KSC75's.

If you must upgrade, I recommend you NOT bite the bullet, instead audition whatever headphones you are interested in before you buy. I've spent way too much money myself taking others' words for it and buying headphones I ended not liking.

Finally, I may get lynched for this on this forum, especially as a first time poster, but if you can experiment with about $35, buy Panasonic ht-355's or ht-357-S somewhere online for about $20-$25 and replace the wimpy cord with a thicker one and one not so insanely long, and I'd put 5 on you being very pleasantly surprised with what you'll end up with. Disassembly very easy but basic soldering skills required.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by brauhaus1
Hello,

I have the KSC75's as well and have tried the SR80's, SR60's, SR125's, Sony V6's, various sub $100 Sennheisers, etc. If you really like the KSC75's, I'd venture to say that you in all likelihood will NOT like the sub $100 Grado line or the Sony V6's. I'm not going to say I'm an audiophile, especially when you see the term bandied about on various review sites by people who use the term liberally to describe themselves, but I have auditioned MANY headphones.

While the Grados are more musical compared to the V6's which are for critical listening, the grados are not nearly as "musical" or dynamic sounding to the average listener as the KSC75's. The Grados definitely have better definition than the Koss, however, my guess is what you like about your KSC75's is probably the mid-bass (a term I find rarely mentioned on these forums, strangely) and very good low bass extension that gives your music an overall rich and thick sound.

I personally find the KSC75's bass a little much at times, boomy and breaks up the clarity of the midrange, but with the Grados I've tried, they sounded like the bottom end fell out. So if you do not want to lose any of the bass you're getting out of the KSC75's, I'd look past Grados. Sennheisers have better bass than the Grados but lack the extension you'll get on certain tracks with the KSC75's that make it seem like you can almost feel the air around your ears moving. Furthermore, none of the cans mentioned here are driven as effortlessly as the KSC75's.

If you must upgrade, I recommend you NOT bite the bullet, instead audition whatever headphones you are interested in before you buy. I've spent way too much money myself taking others' words for it and buying headphones I ended not liking.

Finally, I may get lynched for this on this forum, especially as a first time poster, but if you can experiment with about $35, buy Panasonic ht-355's or ht-357-S somewhere online for about $20-$25 and replace the wimpy cord with a thicker one and one not so insanely long, and I'd put 5 on you being very pleasantly surprised with what you'll end up with. Disassembly very easy but basic soldering skills required.
orphsmile.gif

Welcome to Head-fi. Were you using flats or bowls for your auditions of the Grados?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back