What does the word production environment mean?
Mar 17, 2006 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
I tried searching on Google and Wikipedia, but nothing useful came up. I keep reading those words production environment with respect to certain operating systems that I use or have a keen interest in, but there is no definition available. What does it really mean?
confused.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 11
well, the first thing you need to understand is that production environment is two words.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 11
The term "production environment" is generally used in reference to a "test environment". The production environment is the set of resources and controls directing them to provide a "live" service - such as a web site, a transaction processing system or a running operating system which users can log into and get work done. The test environment is another set of resources and controls directing them in which the service can be stress-tested or projected changes to the service can be tested without impacting the operation of the "live" service. An upgrade or change to the service resources or software would be tested in the test environment while the production environment is running the current system configuration. When the upgrade or change has been demonstrated to provide the desired functionality and sufficient reliability, it is moved to the production environment to make this upgrade or change available to the users of the actual service. The more closely the test environment reflects the production environment, the more closely the performance results obtained in the test environment will reflect the performance obtained in the production environment.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm glad that attempt at an explanation worked for you. You're welcome.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 11
Hi,

For clarification, a "Production Environment" is not a "Test Environment".  A "Test Environment" exists to prepare for ultimate delivery to a Production Environment.

In short, there are multiple different types of Environments that all have different purposes.  Here is a list of some of them...

1. Research (RES) Environments
  2. Federated developer Work Space (WS) Environments (often includes federated Unit Testing and Module Testing Environments)
  3. Centralized or Common Build Environments (often Includes Centralized/Common Unit Testing and Module Testing Environments)
  4. Integration (INTEG) or Systems Integration Testing (SIT) Environments
  5. User Acceptance Testing (UAT) Environments
  6. Performance (PERF) Performance Testing Environments
  7. Production (PROD) Environments
  8. Disaster Recovery (DR) Environments

They all are tied to "Delivery" through what is known as a "Systems Development Life Cycle" or an "SDLC".

You can read more about Environments in the "Information Technology (IT) Environment Framework" and the "Information Technology (IT) Deployment Framework" in order to get a better idea of the many different types of environments and how they all tie together.

I hope this helps!

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Hi,

For clarification, a "Production Environment" is not a "Test Environment".  A "Test Environment" exists to prepare for ultimate delivery to a Production Environment.

In short, there are multiple different types of Environments that all have different purposes.  Here is a list of some of them...

1. Research (RES) Environments
  2. Federated developer Work Space (WS) Environments (often includes federated Unit Testing and Module Testing Environments)
  3. Centralized or Common Build Environments (often Includes Centralized/Common Unit Testing and Module Testing Environments)
  4. Integration (INTEG) or Systems Integration Testing (SIT) Environments
  5. User Acceptance Testing (UAT) Environments
  6. Performance (PERF) Performance Testing Environments
  7. Production (PROD) Environments
  8. Disaster Recovery (DR) Environments

They all are tied to "Delivery" through what is known as a "Systems Development Life Cycle" or an "SDLC".

You can read more about Environments in the "Information Technology (IT) Environment Framework" and the "Information Technology (IT) Deployment Framework" in order to get a better idea of the many different types of environments and how they all tie together.

I hope this helps!

Good info but, after reviewing the links you provided, I also would have added: "Production Environment".

BTW, I like the site you provided.  Very useful!

Thx,

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back