What does the volume control module on my Sennheiser IEM's do?
Jan 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jaywalk3r

100+ Head-Fier
Obviously, the effect of moving the slider on the volume control module is to change the volume. What, exactly, does it do to accomplish this? In theory, are there any additional effects other than simple volume control?

Turning down the volume on the IEM's and turning the source volume to compensate eliminates some noise in the line from the source, but it's difficult to compare the two properly to see what other effects there might be.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Obviously, the effect of moving the slider on the volume control module is to change the volume. What, exactly, does it do to accomplish this? In theory, are there any additional effects other than simple volume control?
Turning down the volume on the IEM's and turning the source volume to compensate eliminates some noise in the line from the source, but it's difficult to compare the two properly to see what other effects there might be.

One simple idea that may work is that since the volume output is dependent a lot on the voltage output, that the little slider actually lowers voltage output by using a step down voltage converter (coiling wires as you roll the spinner). 

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 6
I finally found the right search terms to get some help from Google about this question.

Some claim that Sennheiser uses a variable resistor to achieve inline volume control. Increasing the resistance reduces the volume.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I finally found the right search terms to get some help from Google about this question.
Some claim that Sennheiser uses a variable resistor to achieve inline volume control. Increasing the resistance reduces the volume.

Am I correct in saying that increasing/decreasing resistance does not alter the sound beyond volume?

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Am I correct in saying that increasing/decreasing resistance does not alter the sound beyond volume?

There is a noticeable decrease in line noise with the volume slider all the way down compared to all the way up, after adjusting for the volume difference at the source. With the volume slider turned down as far as it will go, the line hiss is not perceptible.

I started a thread in the Sound Science forum about the general effects of in line variable resistors on sound quality.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
There is a noticeable decrease in line noise with the volume slider all the way down compared to all the way up, after adjusting for the volume difference at the source. With the volume slider turned down as far as it will go, the line hiss is not perceptible.
I started a thread in the Sound Science forum about the general effects of in line variable resistors on sound quality.

Well, with a strong source (puts out a lot of voltage) and a low resistence, it can create a hiss.  If you up the resistence the hiss does go down.  So it would make sense that if it is a variable resistence resistor would reduce hiss by increasing resistence (thus reducing hiss).  Increasing resistence can, however, change the FR curve of the headphones slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back