What does my laptop need to pump out good sound?
Nov 12, 2013 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

thisissomebs

100+ Head-Fier
What does my laptop need to pump out good sound?

It's all I have access too as I can't pay for studio time and it's the only computer I have in my apartment.

I have been reading around and a lot of people are saying it's pointless to buy a high end pair of headphones due to the fact that a laptop will not be able to fully support it sound wise.

People are talking about USB sound cards but I have been looking at a company called M-AUDIO and these look interesting:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MTrackQUADNew.html

What benefit would this provide to my laptop with a pair of headphones, if any? Also, what's the deal with USB sound cards?

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 30
The number 1 suggestion for solving computer audio problems is ineed a USB soundcard. Basically what it does is it takes the digital signal from your computer, and instead of running it through its own D/A converter and amplifier (which is usually pretty low quality), it runs it through USB to your external D/A converter and amplifier. There is honestly quite a big difference between computer audio and a decent external sound card.

Buying good headphones while using the computer audio is indeed a waste. A laptop has a lot of functions it needs to cover and audio is not on a high priority list. The component of a laptop that is dedicated to the headphone jack is often no bigger than maybe half a finger worth of area. The amplifier is also not very powerful and cannot power more power hungry headphones.

Are you looking to listen to music or are you trying to mix and master your own recordings?

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 30
  The number 1 suggestion for solving computer audio problems is ineed a USB soundcard. Basically what it does is it takes the digital signal from your computer, and instead of running it through its own D/A converter and amplifier (which is usually pretty low quality), it runs it through USB to your external D/A converter and amplifier. There is honestly quite a big difference between computer audio and a decent external sound card.

Buying good headphones while using the computer audio is indeed a waste. A laptop has a lot of functions it needs to cover and audio is not on a high priority list. The component of a laptop that is dedicated to the headphone jack is often no bigger than maybe half a finger worth of area. The amplifier is also not very powerful and cannot power more power hungry headphones.

Are you looking to listen to music or are you trying to mix and master your own recordings?

Mixing and mastering. I'm a producer and I use FL Studio.

Thank you so much for respondng though.

I was thinking of getting a pair of V-MODA Crossfade's with probably a Fiio e10 amplifier and definitely some type of USB sound card. Do you think that will be enough or is it overkill?

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 30
You'd only need the fiio e10 as it is both a dac and an amp. I don't think you should get the v-moda, as it isn't made for mixing and mastering. Maybe the KRK KNS8400.
Budget?

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 30
  You'd only need the fiio e10 as it is both a dac and an amp. I don't think you should get the v-moda, as it isn't made for mixing and mastering. Maybe the KRK KNS8400.
Budget?

What do you mean by both a dac and an amp? It has its own soundcard? Excuse my noobness lol. Why shouldn't I get both?

And also I've been at a war with myself deciding the V-MODA's or a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's.

The catch though is that I am only producing hip hop music. A little bit of electro too here and there but it is all new school stuff and very heavy bass oriented. I know the V-MODA's aren't so balanced but from what I've been reading about them they seem to be a very good headphone. I feel like me enjoying the experience more is more important than having a balanced headphone. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I've decided so far.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 30
^Priorities.. There'll be better music strictly for mixing and so on.. I have no personal experience, though.

The e10 is a 'soundcard'. Usb in, sound out.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 30
  ^Priorities.. There'll be better music strictly for mixing and so on.. I have no personal experience, though.

The e10 is a 'soundcard'. Usb in, sound out.

I looked it up too that's so sick hopefully I can pick up the e17 instead since it's not that much more expensive.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 30
The e17 is not better than the e10. It is portable, though, and runs on usb.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 30
  The e17 is not better than the e10. It is portable, though, and runs on usb.

Now I'm confused. Is the e10 the best amplifier by Fiio?

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 30
The best amplifiers are the e9 or e12. The best DAC is debatable. If you don't need the portability of the e17, the e10 would suit you best

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 30
  The best amplifiers are the e9 or e12. The best DAC is debatable. If you don't need the portability of the e17, the e10 would suit you best

All these come with DAC's right? Does every Fiio have a DAC?

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 30

All these come with DAC's right? Does every Fiio have a DAC?

Nope! look in fiio website, you will know! E17 can be used as a portable amplifier along with Ipod/mobile phone. But E10 can not used be as portable amp.

For using in laptop/computer, it is better to bypass the on board soundcard by using a dedicated dac/amp. The dac/amp would improve the sound quality.
for studio monitoring, look for K240 headphones.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 30

Nope! look in fiio website, you will know! E17 can be used as a portable amplifier along with Ipod/mobile phone. But E10 can not used be as portable amp.

For using in laptop/computer, it is better to bypass the on board soundcard by using a dedicated dac/amp. The dac/amp would improve the sound quality.
for studio monitoring, look for K240 headphones.

You guys always never say enough lol. What is an example of a good dedicated dac/amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back