What does it take to have a reliable pair of IEM? Somthing that lasts over 6 months.
Jul 11, 2011 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Silenceophobe

New Head-Fier
I've had 3 pairs of MEElectronics M6s die on the left side. I'm tired of fighting warranties and dealers. Should I get Monster Turbines or something? (srs)

Anything out there that doesn't lose sound quality in a few months, and die in a couple more?

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 5
I've owned my Westone 2's for over a year now and they're still in perfect condition. Never had an IEM fail on me and never had build problems with any I have owned.

I guess you've just been the tiny % of unlucky customers that keep getting bad IEMs. 

Oh, and I don't treat my W2's any differently from cheaper IEMs. They've been through the wars with me and still don't have a scratch on them.

I suggest you move up the rank slightly and find something that has been said across the board to have great build quality. If you can't afford that then go for some RE0's or Sunrise Audio Xcited/Xcape IE, Brainwavz M3. There's some good deals going for some of them in the deals thread.

I've never had MEElec IEMs, so I can't compare my experiences to yours, but it sounds as if you've been really unlucky. Try something new :)

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 5
How do you care for your IEMs?  When not being used, I store my ER4 phones in a soft leather case that goes into a larger camera case for my Fuze+amp and ER4's.  Any small electronics like IEMs will break easily if they are stuffed into pockets and pulled out every which way -- and no offense if you DO take care of your phones!

RE0's have also suffered some reliability issues -- I can't tell you the % of failure.  You might want to look at something like the Etymotic MC5 -- I don't know that anyone has complained of their build quality.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 5
I keep them in a pouch in my backpack, nothing that should cause critical failure like that. The quality control is weak with this company, Right at the split, it loses connection. If the cable of the dead bud is bent to the side on the two wire side, sound returns.

I'm just sick of looking for new IEMs so regularly. I really want something that will deliver for at least a year.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 5
I'd also avoid Turbines (especially the coppers), they have had a lot of build problems lately, same with the S4s (online anyway, I haven't heard much complaining on Head-Fi about them). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back