What does it means when people say a headphone is 'not good' for a genre of music?
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
[size=13.63636302947998px]Please help me understand what people mean when they say a headphone is 'not good' for a specific genre of music. I'm told the Sennheiser Momentum wouldn't be good for metal music, but relative to what? would the sound alright compared to headphones of a lower cost like my Bose AE2?[/size]

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 5
By and large, a much higher priced headphone will outperform a much lower priced headphone assuming they are comparable models/brands/equally VFM. It just means what is more suited to what at a particular price point and taste.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 5
This is very much to do with taste and peoples unique experiences.

I actually really like metal on Momentums - but I have small ears that fit perfectly into the Momentums small earcups, so I hear a VERY fast tight sound. 
Many people with large ears report a slow and sloppy sounding bass, which doesn't complement the overall speed of the headphone, and would make metal sound bloated and sloppy. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Some kinds of frequency responses benefit certain genres of music better than others.

For example, if you listened to a lot of rap, you wouldn't want a headphone with small amounts of bass, because rap music is usually focused on bass. If you listened to metal, you probably wouldn't want a headphone with lots of treble, because metal is pretty harsh most of the time already.

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 5
It means the treble parts are not good enough, so less energy from guitars and/or voices sound weak rather than strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back