What does it all mean.
Sep 6, 2018 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bonesb

New Head-Fier
I don't know if if this is the right forum group, I am posting it here anyways.

I am a noob in hi-res audio quality and everything else. I just want to be able to have the best possible quality with my gear I have.

I have a DSP with a D/A converter that supports 96KHz 32Bit. The device has two audio source one is my head unit which supports Flac files 96KHz/32 bit and another a USB interface that supports 32 kHz to 192 kHz / 16 Bit, 24 Bit or 32 Bit.

So my question is what if I play a 192KHz 32 bit file in my usb source the D/A converter downsamples it to 96KHz/32bit? How much of a quality difference is it.

Also whatever audio source I use since my D/A converter supports only 96KHz/32bit is there any point in me feeding it with a higher sample state file? Is 96KHz/32bit my best option for the best quality as thats what is supported my devices end to end?

Also is my best audio source the USB as it is a direct input to the D/A converted vs the HU connected via the RCA to the DSP. So if I have a 96KHz/32 bit file since both my HU and USB source supports this rates, is the best quality in the USB as its a direct input than the RCA cables?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't think any of that matters. There is theoretically no audible difference past 16 bits at 44.1 kHz.

USB should be better since the analog signal path is shorter and therefore less prone to electrical interference.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 3
I don't know if if this is the right forum group, I am posting it here anyways.

I am a noob in hi-res audio quality and everything else. I just want to be able to have the best possible quality with my gear I have.

I have a DSP with a D/A converter that supports 96KHz 32Bit. The device has two audio source one is my head unit which supports Flac files 96KHz/32 bit and another a USB interface that supports 32 kHz to 192 kHz / 16 Bit, 24 Bit or 32 Bit.

So my question is what if I play a 192KHz 32 bit file in my usb source the D/A converter downsamples it to 96KHz/32bit? How much of a quality difference is it.

Also whatever audio source I use since my D/A converter supports only 96KHz/32bit is there any point in me feeding it with a higher sample state file? Is 96KHz/32bit my best option for the best quality as thats what is supported my devices end to end?

Also is my best audio source the USB as it is a direct input to the D/A converted vs the HU connected via the RCA to the DSP. So if I have a 96KHz/32 bit file since both my HU and USB source supports this rates, is the best quality in the USB as its a direct input than the RCA cables?

Thanks.
32/96 is such a weird rate. Although you can get them, the 32 part is generally rare. 24/96 or 24/192 are usually the rates for high res. If I were converting files down from DSD, I’d cap it out at 24/192. But in your case, since your coverter is 32/96, I’d make my conversions to 24/96, to avoid having to re-covert for other players that might cap out at the 24bit rate. I wouldn’t up-convert, because there’s no real gain there. The other thing is if your converter IS able to downconvert a higher sampling rate. Most will just skip a track that it can’t play or indicate “file not supported”. Make sure of these things first before you go through the trouble of converting your files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back