What does 24 bits means in this case?
May 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

daniel0407

100+ Head-Fier
Dear all,

I bought today a Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong CD (Ella&Louis Deluxe the Anthology Collection). It is a regular CD, but it has in the cover a 24 bits symbol, and says it is 24 bit digitally remasterd (link here).

Does it really is 24 bits and my system has something wrong? or it is just misleading advertising?

Thanks,

Daniel

May 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 3
I think it means that 24 bit samples were taken from the original master tapes and used during the remastering process. Then they were converted to 16 bit for inclusion on the CD. It it's on a CD, then the files on the CD itself are 16 bit. You should be able to confirm this by putting the CD in your computer and looking at the properties of the files on the CD to see that they are 16 bit.

It really means nothing. It just means 24 bit samples were taken from the original master tapes and used during the mastering process, but that's standard practice anyway and really nothing out of the ordinary. The files that end up on the CD are still 16 bit.

If I'm wrong, someone here will correct me.

May 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your answer!

Yes I did look at the file properties in the computer, and they are 16 bits as expected. It is a bit anoying that they advertise that the mastering has been done using 24 bits samples as something out of the ordinary.

Many thanks again for your answer,

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back