What do you wish you brought to college but didn't?
Sep 12, 2007 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
Tomorrow is my last day before I head off to college and I wanted to get some ideas from the more savvy folks on head-fi about things to make my life easier and better in college.

What should I bring besides the basics? Any certain type of storage that's popular on campus? Gadgets? Anything?

I know I'm going to forget something, so to make my life easier i'm asking you - what did YOU forget/wish you thought of!

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 31
Quarters.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 31
more family pictures

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quarters.

+

If you've got lots of quarters you'll never be stuck wearing your dirty clothes again. Plus, make new friends by changing dollar bills to the people who left their quarters at home.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 31
Bring your favourite mug and don't let any other bugger near it.

Alarm clock.
Your own pillow can be a good idea. The sheets and things you get given are often awful.

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 31
Fans. Lots and lots of fans. Me and my roommate have two dedicated window fans (one in, one out) and also one fan for each of us while we're sleeping. Mine just crapped out, though, so I wish I had brought another.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 31
courage. You will meet many people of questionable morality, ethics and intelligence. This includes teachers. Get ready to swallow a giant load of political rhetoric that you may not agree with but can't challenge without harm to grades, etc. College professors are notorious for this. I call them Acadamia Nuts.
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
courage. You will meet many people of questionable morality, ethics and intelligence. This includes teachers. Get ready to swallow a giant load of political rhetoric that you may not agree with but can't challenge without harm to grades, etc. College professors are notorious for this. I call them Acadamia Nuts.
wink.gif

That happened to me in high school. I have trouble not challenging people like that.

Good think I'm going to a conservatory for piano performance, thus bypassing all of the BS political science professors!

Nonetheless, I agree with you about many people having questionable morality, ethics, and intelligence. It's going to be interesting, to say the least.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 31
A lockable container large enough to store all or most of your portable valuables with provisions for chaining down to a desk/bed/dresser long as it's difficult to move. Stuff has a nasty tendency of disappearing in dorms.

Pelican makes some nice ones.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 31
Fans are good unless you have AC. It is sometimes downright cold in my dorm room, even when it is in the upper 80s-lower 90s outside. That said, make sure you actually have all of the important stuff first, or at least pack early so you don't forget anything because you are trying to remember all the stuff you haven't packed at the last minute.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 31
it's true. fans are key. i had an awesome one, you stuck it in the window and it had one fan blowing in and one blowing out. remember - FREE ELECTRICITY so keep that baby pumping!

another is Rice Cooker (if they allow hotplates in the dorm) because you are going to get the late night munchies when everything is closed and that cooker will save your life. Ramen, uncle ben's, campbell's soup, leftover cafeteria scrapings, you name it.

finally - your own mini fridge. i can't emphasize this enough. your OWN. so no one bites off your stash of cola/fruit/water, whatever. you gotta have these things to survive, do not doubt.

oh, and the Most Annoying Alarm Clock in the World. you might have a nice parent-triggered day schedule now, but that Clock will save you from sleeping through an exam one day after an allnighter followed by a "short nap", mark my words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back