What do you want to see at CES?
Dec 17, 2006 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
Less than one month until CES 2007 commences in Las Vegas (January 8-11).

The perennial question: Who will steal the show this year?

Last year Toshiba introduced the Gigabeat S series, with promises of a 262K color screen, 20 hours of audio, and 5 hours of video playback. The product was continually delayed, and the battery playback time was lowered, and the screen resolution and colors reduced. It was finally introduced, and cNet liked it. No one else seemed to care. I was disappointed.

The Zen Vision: M was officially introduced to the public, after quietly slipping onto the scene in late December '04, and won several awards, including cNet's 'Best in Show' award. It was originally introduced at the price tag of $329.99, and offered an AC adapter in the original package. Here we are almost a year later, AC adapter-less, but at Buy.com, the ZVM can now be had for less than $200.

Nothing else was really all that spectacular, so I'm really hoping for some good stuff this year. Microsoft recently introduced the Zune, so here's to hoping for the release of either a flash version(unlikely) or some possible firmware/software updates (I know, it's wishful thinking).

Cowon will be there, likely modeling their new D2. Creative is more or less expected to introduce a ZVM successor with X-fi sound quality. Apple will likely wait for MacWorld to introduce any new products.

So what do you want to see from CES this year? Personally, I'd like to see Samsung enter the high-capacity flash market. Sandisk needs to do something. I don't know or care what, but something must be done. As much as I know it won't happen, I would truly LOVE to see iAudio enter the HDD market again with X5 successor. I am excited to see what Creative will provide.

On a non-audio note, I'd like to see some new hardware to go with the new-gen systems.

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm still awaiting a portable player with open source code, optical output and modular matching outboard portable dac with great discrete output for headphones.

Asking too much?

Neuros is looking at it apparantly

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 16
I just want to see a new DAP with digital audio output
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 16
hmmmmmmmmm, a new iAudio or Creative player with:

60GB of storage
an interface that rivals the Gigabeat/Zune
a user adjustable EQ + bass/treble boosts
20 hours of audio playback time
form factor that's comparable to the Gigabeat S
User replaceable battery
A price of $300 or lower

..........it won't happen, haha. Really though, iAudio needs to get going already and put out an X5 successor and Creative needs to finally make somehing that's not plastic-looking and is as small or smaller than the iPOD.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 16
A 100GB iPod that isn't bigger than the current 80GB, or a 80GB that's the size of the current 30GB. Shouldn't be that hard, what with HDD perpendicular recording technology.

Or if they can do it, I wouldn't mind an iRiver/Creative/iAudio with the above specs and a software/hardware interface as minimalistic (hence attractive and easy to use) as Apple's.

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm primarily going to see biometrics, network video devices and WIMAX deployment. That said, on the personal side, I want to see the latest in Satellite Radio and 100GB DAP devices. Does anyone want to meet there? If so PM me. I'll probably go to MACWorld for a day as well to check out H.264 Video Devices.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 16
a high capacity flash player from sandisk and an x-fi enabled flash player that supports ogg, from creative.

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 16
A portable flash memory player with digital output.

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a high capacity flash player from sandisk and an x-fi enabled flash player that supports ogg, from creative.

is there anything higher capacity available than 8gb?

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 16
nope. you can expand the e280 with a 2 gig micro sd to make it ten gigs

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnite8791 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id love to see an X5 successor with 80+GB and a real lineout.

don't hold your breath, cowon has just announced 5 new players in novermber, and the mods at iaudiophile.net have hinted that there will be no X5 successor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back