What do you want most in a headphone amp?
Oct 1, 2005 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hybridamp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, lets imagine for a moment that I can bring to the audiphile headphone market "the perfect" headphone amplifier based solely upon the head-fi community member's personal opinions... What would it feature?

For example:

Digital Display, LED, LCD?
Class A, Tubes, or just so it produces phenomenal sound, who cares how it does it?
Case Size? Home/portable/beefy?
On-Board DAC? On-Board PSU? XLR Inputs? Pre-Amp?
Analog volume, digital, remote control?

You name it, even if it hasn't been done before, imagine that I could do it.
wink.gif
Keep in mind the features your mention should be ones that you are completely willing to pay for to be included in your perfect amplifier.
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 13
Stellar sound.... By that I mean clean power, capable of conveying whats recorded. If material calls for a big soundstage amp should be able to deliver. If recording calls for strong center stage image amp should be able to deliver. A little bass boost wouldnt hurt so long as it does not flab out, or degrade anything else in the process. If your cans are low impedence and current hungry amp should have reserve capacity... same goes for Voltage requirements with high impedence cans.

Moderately sized black box. Vol knob, maybe a couple phone outputs. Maybe a couple line inputs. Selectable of course.

That's about it for me.

Garrett

Oct 1, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 13
Hmm, the perfect amp? Lets see..

*Remote controlled - volume, bass boost, crossfeed, etc
*LCD screen
*Variable or multi-stage bass boost, that doesn't result in a "boomy" sound (i.e. must be very well controlled)
*Switchable crossfeed
*Massive voltage swing and current reserves
*Absolutely dead-quiet, no-ripple, flat-as-a-ruler power supply
*Dynamic response and power-on-demand faster than a set of Qualias on mescalin
*A tonality adjustment feature (i.e. switchable between cold, neutral and warm timbre, without distortion)
*Styling - the thing has to look majorly cool
cool.gif

*Dual unbalanced RCA inputs, dual unbalanced 1/4 outputs, XLR balanced inputs and XLR balanced outputs

Oct 1, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 13
On a portable amp I would like:
-perfect soundquality
-batterypowered with common used rechargeable batteries (AAA, 9Vs etc.) than can be recharged in the unit.
-battery indicator
-gain switch (high/low/extra low)
-option to run on AC even if the battery is still in the unit.
-crossfeed
-small (obviously)

Home amp:
-perfect soundquality
-gain switch (again high/low/extra low)
-remote (volume) controll
-crossfeed

Oct 1, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

What do you want most in a headphone amp?

I want a headphone amplifier that turns my music listening experience into an emotional experience. I want to be shocked! I want a large headstage, dynamics, speed, texture, decay, and resolution. I want an amplifier with true power that can rock with the best of them, and still maintain intelligibility. I want the best amplifier I can get for my money from a manufacturer that gives good service. I want it all!
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 13
For a portable amp:
- User moddable opamp
- support for rechargeable batteries
- DC power jack, and ability to run solely on DC if batteries are in unit
- small
- anodized metal casing
- power switch

Oct 2, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 13
A $2000 portable amp a bit larger than an AAA battery, running off that battery, sold by an insane billionaire for $50 a pop!

Also, it must make all headphones sound awesome and the battery would last for ages!

To make it more reasonable it could be restricted to perhaps a few 1000 units. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back