What do you usualy put down for the year tag?
Apr 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pmc64

Head-Fier
Some albums have different release dates in different regions and some are reprints and remastered, should I use the original release or the release date for that release. For example Gotye - Like Drawing Blood came out in Australia in 2006, internationally in 2008 and has a different track listing. Jimmy Eat World - Clarity came out in 1999 by Capitol and then reprinted in 2001 by Nettwerk. Then I have a few deluxe remastered albums.

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 3
  The correct answer is: Whatever works for you....

I prefer to catalog my music by the year it was produced. If the release date is different I put that in the comments.

That's definitely the correcty answer... whatever works for you.

These days I tend to have some different versions of albums (a mixture of hi-res pcm downloads, cd rips, re-masters, some vinyl rips of old original pressings, DSD downloads, etc), whereas I used to just have one of everything. So I find it more useful to tag based on the date that the version was released.

Also depends what catalog software you are using. Most good ones (exception being iTunes) allow you to display both the year of version release and the year of "original release".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back