What do you use to rip your CD's?
Feb 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 28
EAC -> Wav, dBpoweramp to convert to flac, Mp3tag to tag.

I could probably automate it more, but I'm a control freak. Little discrepancies in the way my music is tagged (eg. 1 vs. 1/15 vs. 01 as track numbers) drive me nuts whereas most people don't even notice. That's just an example. I've also gone through my music to ensure that all albums with multiple CDs have cd# designated in the folder name. Not CD#, but lower case. Yes, I'm OCD as hell
tongue.gif
A more hands-on process lets me see that stuff and make it conform to my tagging method which saves me hassle down the road.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 28
Where's the option for EAC to auto-generate folder names? I swear to the powers-that-be that I used to have it do that.

For example, I would have /Music set as the folder, and it would autocreate a folder of /Artist/YearXXXX - Album Title

I can't find again how to do that
frown.gif
i hate typing in all that crap and building folder trees manually.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where's the option for EAC to auto-generate folder names? I swear to the powers-that-be that I used to have it do that.

For example, I would have /Music set as the folder, and it would autocreate a folder of /Artist/YearXXXX - Album Title

I can't find again how to do that
frown.gif
i hate typing in all that crap and building folder trees manually.

Sure, in the space that asks for that stuff, type
/Music/%artist%/%date% - %album%/%tracknumber% - %title%

That should get you what you need.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Max, and find it really great.
Free (open-source), feature rich, and support the most popular codecs out there (Apple Lossless, FLAC, WavPack, AAC, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, ...).

So how do you have it so that it also has the cd text with it? I never could get it to do that; it always comes in as "Track 01" and blah.

[edit] Well it did it to one of my cd's but it looks like it's working fine for this other one. Ah well.

Feb 3, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do you have it so that it also has the cd text with it? I never could get it to do that; it always comes in as "Track 01" and blah.

[edit] Well it did it to one of my cd's but it looks like it's working fine for this other one. Ah well.

I don't think there are any preferences for metadata. Never seen any settings at least.
I think its just supposed to embed them as per collected from MusicBrainz.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #23 of 28
EAC. To up the speed of ripping, grab the latest version. If secure mode is too slow, try using burst mode with accurate rip configured. Any disc with an accurate rip entry, you only need to use secure mode if a track does not match. Discs without accurate rip entries, you can use test&copy and check the 2 crc's match.

I think dBpoweramp also does a good job and automates the burst rip & re-rip if there is a problem process, but I don't use it.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigYellowVerdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the noob question, but how much better are these than ripping CDs in regular itunes (which is what I use, not knowing that there was a difference).

A thousand times better! The main problem with the iTunes ripper is that you won't know if you get a good (i.e. error-free) rip until you play back the files. If you tend to do a lot of CD ripping in sessions then this can be extremely annoying. Software such as EAC, which stands for Exact Audio Copy, is just that: exact. EAC will let you know if there are timing problems or other errors usually due to DRM or severely damaged discs (same thing, imo
wink.gif
) and provides options to fix it.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigYellowVerdi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the noob question, but how much better are these than ripping CDs in regular itunes (which is what I use, not knowing that there was a difference).

Major difference if the CD is badly scratched, and none if the CD is spotless.
Its all about getting the right bits out of the CD.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back