What do you use to play your music from anywhere at home?
Aug 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 11
jriver DLNA server using jremote on my devices.

love it!   i can even stream my collection anywhere (like friends houses etc) as long as i have a decent wifi connect

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 11
iTunes
Airplay to Apple TV, and 2 Airport Express.
Control via iRule with iTunes module running on iPad 2, with Pandora streaming to Airplay devices too.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 11
Netbook to a BT receiver plugged into an Audio Interface.  Surprisingly decent quality really.

For genuine CD quality leave the desktop PC running and use the netbook to remote log in.  

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Airports on every stereo and boom box all over the house.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Airports on every stereo and boom box all over the house.

I keep trying to bump the "cost per zone" of the Airplay solution down.  So far, Airport Express and a little 2x20W Tripath amp for $25 gets you a zone at under $125, plus whatever speakers you have laying around.

You probably know this, but even fairly basic AVRs from most major manufacturers priced between $350 and $400 now have Airplay built in, so that saves you the Airport.  The Sonos solutions are pricy, proprietary, and you have to like their speakers, which aren't exactly sterling.

So far, the Airport/Tripath/Speakers kind of wins.  You can nudge it a bit by getting a refurb Airport Express. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 11
I already have the stereos. All I needed was the internet connection.

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 11
I've got the Sonos Playbar.Love it. Agree that the SQ is not stellar but more than good enough and a very elegant solution. If I want better SQ I have my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back