What do you use to organize mp3's?
Feb 12, 2004 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ch1nkster

100+ Head-Fier
I recently DL'ed some albums and I don't think that it's legit to mix good ID3 titled mp3's with messed up ID3 tag mp3's downloaded from Kazaa. A bunch of my Kazaa mp3's have messed up ID3 tag names. What do you use to edit the ID3 tags other than by hand? I also recently partitioned off a drive for music so in your opinion, should I just put all my songs in there or separate the music by folders?

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 13
I would suggest

MP3/Tag Studio
for editing tags and batch-editing, file renaming, etc.. can use filenames to build tags and vice-versa

Dapyx MP3 Explorer
database-like manager browsing, playing music

I also have some very useful mass-file renaming/editing programs at home but can't recall thier exact names. will post them later

Winamp v.2 for playing music and visuals

I've renamed, retagged thousands of tracks. nice once you get it all done.

I have a folder for every artist, and a subfolder for every album preceded by year so they are properly sorted alphanumerically. All my tracks are named as "Arist - Album - Track# - Title.mp3"

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 13
ID3-TagIT, the easiest to use freeware I've found. It's got plenty of neat functions like multi-tag, copy selected info v1<->v2, from filename to id3tag in any way you'd imagine and vice versa. Nice undo/save function to top it all off. ID3-TagIT 3

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 13
From the minority side of things;
I use Musicmatch, and it will change ID tags.
Be warned that I am one of two people here that like Musicmatch, and I'm a hick from the sticks that has never used anything else.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
I don't know about the Windows version, but the Mac version of iTunes does a pretty good job of organizing MP3s.

Anybody using the Windows version?

D.

Yep, works great.

Mar 13, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 13
I use MP3 Book Helper to tag mp3 files (free) and MP3 Cat (Giftware - cost me a Terry Pratchett paperback) to catalog the MP3 Cds I burn. Mp3 Cat is a little buggy if you want to make changes after the fact but pretty good.

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #13 of 13
All my newly downloaded mp3s are kept in a downloads folder untill I have the chance to use my id3 tag editor of choice (kid3) to edit them up nicely. I run mpck to check for corruption, then mv the folder to /Music/<Artist>/<Album>. From there, it can be transferred to my Zen Xtra 30gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back