What do you think the best flash player is?
Apr 10, 2007 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

grndslm

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm really looking for something that can take one or two AA or AAA batteries and have tons of battery life... like the IRiver T10. But I'd also like something like integrated usb feature (like the Muvo TX), so I could use it as a flash drive on me at all times. Or I could deal with a built-in sd card reader instead for future expandability; I'd prefer to have 2gb or more built-in, but if it had sd card reader then I could deal with smaller memory.

1) What' the hotness these days in terms of the features mentioned above?

2) What say you of the MP4 8GB player's sound quality? I might actually be able to live with ~10hrs of battery for that thing if I found a legitimate dealer with the real 8GB version (if it even exists).

3) What do you guys thing about the Treo 650's 2.5mm headphone jack and audio quality? Could I just bypass the dap altogether and keep the converged device? (I know you guys will hate, but I just wanna make sure)

Thanks in advance for your input!

EDIT: If it helps, I do plan on buying an amp within the next month: either Xin's Supermicro or an iBasso T2. Dunno if some amps and cans sound better with certain DAPs and whatnot.

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 22
Best players:

Amped: iMod
Unamped: Kenwood HD series
Flash players: Samsung Z5, T9, K3

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 22
I'd say kenwood's flash player then sony S700 S600 and A800 series, but since u need one that uses AAA or AA batteries, iriver IFP 799/899 or iaudio G3 might be a good choce
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 22
Kenwood has a flash player?

The best I've heard was the Samsung YP-Z5. The Meizu M6 MiniPlayer comes close.

Both have about 4.5x the battery life of the player you're considering, FWIW.

Cowon iAudio G3 may be a good match for your needs.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kenwood has a flash player?

The best I've heard was the Samsung YP-Z5. The Meizu M6 MiniPlayer comes close.

Both have about 4.5x the battery life of the player you're considering, FWIW.

Cowon iAudio G3 may be a good match for your needs.

Here's the product page
biggrin.gif

http://www.kenwood.co.jp/j/products/...nal/index.html

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 22
go Cowon D2...all the way and dont look back.
or just for fun try the samsung line of daps.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 22
I've really really really like my 8GB Sandisk Sansa e280. Brand new one on ebay for $165 right now.

Things I like:
1. Price
2. Flash size (8gb)
3. plays video
4. plays radio
5. built in recorder (includes recording the radio)
6. size (small enough to fit comfortably in my front jeans pocket)
7. battery life (20hours) - plus it's replaceable!

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 22
Well, I like the Samsung Z5...looks sweet.

It looks like Rockbox isn't supported on any flash devices. Slow, slow linux.

Can any of you comment on its touchpad && interface? Close to Apple, better than Apple [with practice]?

Anybody use an amp with YP-Z5?? iBasso or Xin amps in pertickular???

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best players:

Amped: iMod
Unamped: Kenwood HD series
Flash players: Samsung Z5, T9, K3

the samsungs are beautiful to look at but i find them excessively boomy to the point of bother... that is me (a basshead) speaking

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #14 of 22
Man have you guys seen Newegg's 190 dollar price for the Cowon D2 4 gigabyte white? For that price I don't think anything can touch the D2 lol.

Annoys me I bought one for 250 after tax/shipping grumble.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting.. does their "M" series take advantage of their digital amp technology?

ive had md by both sharp and kenwood that utilise this amplifier or a very similar one to almost no fault. they sound good yes, but mostly it is just there is no noise, not necessarily that they have presence or power. the sharp amp was warm but boomy while the kenwood resolved more details and was finer.

The reason there is no noise is that there is no power out of the headphone out. it is at most 8mw * 8mw and meant completely for small headphones like earbuds or iems. when you listen to it with proper headphones, you will see how much it lacks and how weak the voice becomes. i have owned this portable amp in players for now 3 years and it is good, but not glowing certainly - certainly not up to par in any way with the imod or in any way should it be listed on the same page. it just has no noise.

however, it was not balanced properly and i did not come away with a great impression of their amplifier.

if things have changed that would be great, but it is not the be all end all of player amps, just the one with the least noise. if you ad an amplifier, the noise will all come back as amps make noise. i think with iem use, one of these kenwoods if the performance is similar to the md units will be phenomenal, but compared to a normal dap even an ipod, it is a very tailored sound, very to the effect of bringing out power where there is no power to bring out. it is effects like 3-D glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back