What do you think of this.....SE530 / UE10
Sep 29, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 19
dexter, you made a great point that i was starting to hit on but missed; if i can't hear the highs as well i tend to turn the volume up higher so that i can hear them. i also have this problem with the hd650s...because of the veil over the vocals, i turn the volume up much higher so that i can hear them comfortably, and this probably results in the rest of the sounds becoming far more damaging to hearing.

(just to note...those impressions are for unamped 650s...i'm sure with the right setup they can be an incredible headphone.)

and to jinx, as far as shure knowing about the high roll-off and it being intentional, i'm sure they do know it, but then again, if you look at the marketing material on their website, they have the se530s listed like this:

lows: ****
mids: ****
highs:****

so...isn't that kind of deceptive?

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #18 of 19
Anything over 85dB can cause tinnitus or hearing loss if you listen long enough.

Virtually everyone listens at 85dB or more unless they've already experienced some hearing loss.

My own hearing loss is in the upper mid-range where I have a -3 to -6dB dip.

So. I don't think that the E500 is going to 'preserve' your hearing, but I do think they might have been designed to be less fatiguing.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #19 of 19
I just switch from K81DJ to ES530 while drumming on stage. The clarity demanded reducing the volume by 25%. The lead singer sounded like she was singing two feet from me. With the reduced volume and better isolation, I suspect I just saved my hearing. I can now hear just what I need without turning it up. Highs were less distorted compared to the K81. I noticed a reduction in fatigue for a two hour set. At home I still prefer the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back