What do you think of this new DAC?
Sep 12, 2008 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
The AudioMagus website shows that their long-awaited new DAC is finally in stock for $550.

I've pasted part of their write-up below.

Working with the manufacturer of the very popular DAC707, Michael Mardis created a new PCB design. The magiDAC™ 1.0 is built around the CS4398 A/D converter, the flagship chip from Cirrus Logic. It has inputs for 3 types of digital audio streams, S/PDIF, USB and XLR) allowing you to connect it to many different types of sources, from CD players to a computer to pro audio gear.

Not only will the magiDAC™ accept 3 different types of digital signals, it will also decode high bit rates and bit depths. You can feed it up to 96K/24bit stereo (if you have a source for it). So you can use this DAC as an excellent sound source from your PC or CD player.

The magiDAC™ uses the Crème de la Crème of custom transformers. These nickel core beauties are designed and hand-built by Bud Purvine, owner of high-end transformer maker Onetics.

The magiDAC™, along with all of the new Aeolus magi™ line, comes in a brushed aluminum enclosure. Solid front and back panels are 6mm thick. All graphics are laser etched for a subtle, but highly durable, application. All hardware is selected for quality and durability, including Vampire RCA jacks, Switchcraft DC jack, and L-com USB and RJ45 Balanced Output jacks.

DA Receiver Chip: CS-8416
D/A Converter Chip CS-4398 (24-192kHz )

What do you all think? Worth considering?

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the market for mid-priced DACs is getting very crowded...

--Jerome

Very true, but no real surprise. The dealers are milking the buyers with price tags.

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the market for mid-priced DACs is getting very crowded...

--Jerome

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 15
Looks quite nice to me.
Someone better take on for the team, and report back.
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Choice is generally a good thing and competition is healthy for the market...up to a certain point. It is, however, not a good thing when the market becomes saturated with an abundance of products. It is bad for manufacturers because it is harder and harder for them to differentiate their products in the marketplace. It is also bad for consumers because it makes the choice that much more difficult.

--Jerome

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Any owners of the previous magiDAC out there? Especially interested in hearing from those who sprung for the custom Onetics transformer upgrade since that's now a standard feature and one of the changes driving the price jump.

BTW, just noticed the price is now listed as $495, a $55 retreat from earlier this week.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 15
Well it has a 30 day money back guarantee so you can give it a try without too much to lose...

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #11 of 15
DacMagic

Thank you for contacting us. The price on the unit is $369.00 in black or silver. We just had a meeting with Cambridge Audio and we are expecting the units in Oct. The projected date in the 25th but it might be sooner depending on customs. We will be updating our site for pre-orders on these units (hopefully today). The orders will be handled first come first out. If you have any additional questions please let me know.
Sincerely,
Wild West Customer Service

I think I rather take one of these for the team.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really impressed with it as I was when I saw the Cambridge Audio dacMagic.

I agree that Cambridge packed a lot of features into the dacMagic for the money, but that's the very thing that gives me pause.

Cambridge products always seem a little overpriced to me but this one actually seems maybe a little underpriced. Will it 'punch above its weight' or will it throw in the towel after going a round or two with its lower-priced Chinese brethren?

Some of the glossies have reviews coming out as soon as this week, but it will be late October before the dacMagic hits the streets (at least in the U.S.) and I'll put more stock in what Headfiers have to say about it.

Same for the magiDAC (although there are frustratingly few members here who have any experience with this one).

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DacMagic

Thank you for contacting us. The price on the unit is $369.00 in black or silver. We just had a meeting with Cambridge Audio and we are expecting the units in Oct. The projected date in the 25th but it might be sooner depending on customs. We will be updating our site for pre-orders on these units (hopefully today). The orders will be handled first come first out. If you have any additional questions please let me know.
Sincerely,
Wild West Customer Service

That's price is very competitive. Just wonder if it includes shipping or not?
Does Cambridge has any dealer in the States?

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that Cambridge packed a lot of features into the dacMagic for the money, but that's the very thing that gives me pause.

Cambridge products always seem a little overpriced to me but this one actually seems maybe a little underpriced. Will it 'punch above its weight' or will it throw in the towel after going a round or two with its lower-priced Chinese brethren?

Some of the glossies have reviews coming out as soon as this week, but it will be late October before the dacMagic hits the streets (at least in the U.S.) and I'll put more stock in what Headfiers have to say about it.

Same for the magiDAC (although there are frustratingly few members here who have any experience with this one).

That's what I thought.
I'm still waiting for some reviews before putting an order on it.
In the mean time, I just use an EMU 0404 as an temporary choice.

Sep 19, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 15
FWIW, I have heard the magiDAC in its first version and with the upgraded transformers...

The sound is engaging and very smooth. The transformers do present an 'analogue' sound. For those who like the 'Benchmark', 'forward', and/or 'analytical' sound, this would not be a first choice. For bright systems seeking a more smooth or 'tube' sound this DAC would fit the bill. A toslink version is planned in the future...seems they included AES, but did not think of the toslink option. Few reviews, since they have made only a few units. Early probs with USB input seem to have been solved. I heard one via USB from my laptop into a Glow Amp 1 and KingRex amp/pre combo and they both sounded good with the magiDAC...

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back