Jul 9, 2005 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Asterix

Banned
Tenor sax player name unknown

CLICK ON SAX

wink.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 14
confused.gif
What the heck was that? It looks like a template for a website to be completed later.....

I must be drowsy or something, but I don't get it.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Nice improvisation. If you want to have it from me:

[size=xx-small]
It lacks a bit of timing and character. It is obvious you can do better.[/size]
wink.gif
Nice piece though. I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 14
Hey ! How come fart.com is in the links but we're not ?
mad.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
confused.gif
What the heck was that? It looks like a template for a website to be completed later.....

I must be drowsy or something, but I don't get it.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

That's exactly what it is. I've been too lazy to update it so I just left it like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Nice improvisation. If you want to have it from me:

[size=xx-small]
It lacks a bit of timing and character. It is obvious you can do better.[/size]
wink.gif
Nice piece though. I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually when I improvise the timing is often off and that's probably my greatest weakness. Sometimes I like to complain that its because I play a vintage saxophone that doesn't have the same keywork and response of a more modern instrument, but I'm not sure.

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
That's exactly what it is. I've been too lazy to update it so I just left it like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif
OK, good. I thought I was hallucinating!
blink.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 14
sorry mate , i completely misunderstood your means ( when i first clicked on sax my pc got me the mercedes pic -
rolleyes.gif
only - figure yourself )
I like the tune , really ! - and also the background rumors ( hint hint hint )

any more free improvisations for us ?
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 14
Some places sound like you're running out air :\
The timing..

I can't speak though, my timing is worse. I need a drum or metronome or something clicking or my timing is pretty much non existant. Even with a drum my timing sucks. So I started playing guitar, but that's even harder to get right. I lose.

Of course I blame the horn (yanagisawa T800/T50, I really don't know which). I haven't played for quite a while now though, and my lips can't handle it anymore. And definately my lungs.

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
Some places sound like you're running out air :\
The timing..

I can't speak though, my timing is worse. I need a drum or metronome or something clicking or my timing is pretty much non existant. Even with a drum my timing sucks. So I started playing guitar, but that's even harder to get right. I lose.

Of course I blame the horn (yanagisawa T800/T50, I really don't know which). I haven't played for quite a while now though, and my lips can't handle it anymore. And definately my lungs.

Hey my first horn was an older Yanagisawa, and it was one of the quickest responding horns with the lighest and tightest action I've ever played on. My 50's Aristocrat is an old clunker compared to that horn, although it's pretty solid. But I agree, my timing has been criticized by my friends and I know it's off. I hate metronomes but a drum player might be nice. I've also been told I have problems with breath support sometimes, but that's because I never remember to stop to breath. Also this was a clip taken from the end of a playing session in which I was playing non-stop solo like in the clip. I've been told I need to study exercises that will develop my sense of timing. But I don't practice much if I can help it since I play for fun. The problem with that is sometimes I play so bad I can't even listen to myself play.

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah, I have days like that too. Sometimes I just don't wanna touch my guitar. It's a shame I don't play my sax much anymore. I loved to just play away my feelings. But I felt myself leaning towards rock and I lost the emotion of saxphone playing. Which is a pity. However, I know that i'm going to be picking that horn up sometime. Miles quit trumpet for something like 7 years..

You could get bigger lungs or change some phrases to allow for breath. The work is good, and I can't really improvise at all. I've been playing music more than half my life (i'm 19
biggrin.gif
) but just off a sheet, and my child self didn't notice what I was playing. Like I can read but i'm musically illiterate. Which I find a more useful skill (I can accept a bad sound but I get put off playing when my tunes sound so un-tuneful).

Oh, I came off as dissing my horn. I didn't mean that, I forgot to mention it needs a tune up (the low D is leaky, amongst other things. It really needs a repad). I play it with a yanagisawa metal mouthpiece. I've been criticized for playing that piece. I caught myself out once, smiling because i liked the sound better, but I go home and I'm thinking ya know, i like hte other piece better.

I really enjoy just listening to myself play, but timing really annoys me. I got bugged for being out of time all the time in big band last year at school, so this year when I started guitar I just threw my metronome across the room set at 150bpm and started picking the strings for something like an hour or two non stop. I was in my lazy hammock. Anyway now I have a sore arm but I hope i'm slightly more in time. I guess the way is to just never play without the metronome, as much as you hate it. I hate playing scales, but I hate playing my tunes with a metronome and being out of tune much more than that. I figure scales will help me memorise certain combinations of notes, because my lack of timing comes from difficult passages that i slow down for.

3am ramble/over.

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
Yeah, I have days like that too. Sometimes I just don't wanna touch my guitar. It's a shame I don't play my sax much anymore. I loved to just play away my feelings. But I felt myself leaning towards rock and I lost the emotion of saxphone playing. Which is a pity. However, I know that i'm going to be picking that horn up sometime. Miles quit trumpet for something like 7 years..

You could get bigger lungs or change some phrases to allow for breath. The work is good, and I can't really improvise at all. I've been playing music more than half my life (i'm 19
biggrin.gif
) but just off a sheet, and my child self didn't notice what I was playing. Like I can read but i'm musically illiterate. Which I find a more useful skill (I can accept a bad sound but I get put off playing when my tunes sound so un-tuneful).

Oh, I came off as dissing my horn. I didn't mean that, I forgot to mention it needs a tune up (the low D is leaky, amongst other things. It really needs a repad). I play it with a yanagisawa metal mouthpiece. I've been criticized for playing that piece. I caught myself out once, smiling because i liked the sound better, but I go home and I'm thinking ya know, i like hte other piece better.

I really enjoy just listening to myself play, but timing really annoys me. I got bugged for being out of time all the time in big band last year at school, so this year when I started guitar I just threw my metronome across the room set at 150bpm and started picking the strings for something like an hour or two non stop. I was in my lazy hammock. Anyway now I have a sore arm but I hope i'm slightly more in time. I guess the way is to just never play without the metronome, as much as you hate it. I hate playing scales, but I hate playing my tunes with a metronome and being out of tune much more than that. I figure scales will help me memorise certain combinations of notes, because my lack of timing comes from difficult passages that i slow down for.

3am ramble/over.

nice ramble, I can tell you are artistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back