What do you think of these two HD600 cables?
Feb 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bzippy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious about trying a cable 'upgrade' for my HD600's but am limiting myself to $50. I need 3.5mm connectors.

From lunashops.com:

99.777% OCC
http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=3306

Silver plated OCC
http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=3307

These were the only two viable candidates I saw on their site with 3.5mm connectors. They definitely look cooler than the HD600 stock cables but I don't know anything about different cable metals. I know there's massive debate about sonic differences in cables and I guess I'll make that assessment myself, but I just want to make sure these aren't lower quality than the stock cable in any way.

Thoughts?

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 7
  I'm curious about trying a cable 'upgrade' for my HD600's but am limiting myself to $50. I need 3.5mm connectors.

From lunashops.com:

99.777% OCC
http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=3306

Silver plated OCC
http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=3307

These were the only two viable candidates I saw on their site with 3.5mm connectors. They definitely look cooler than the HD600 stock cables but I don't know anything about different cable metals. I know there's massive debate about sonic differences in cables and I guess I'll make that assessment myself, but I just want to make sure these aren't lower quality than the stock cable in any way.

Thoughts?

Both appear to be well constructed. I doubt you will hear any sonic improvement over the stock cables but that is only my opinion. What are you trying to accomplish with the "upgrade" ??

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 7
  Both appear to be well constructed. I doubt you will hear any sonic improvement over the stock cables but that is only my opinion. What are you trying to accomplish with the "upgrade" ??

I am really just curious. I am indeed dubious about speaker/headphone cable upgrades in general, especially when it comes to spending hundreds of dollars. But the one thing that seems to be a somewhat common sentiment in the cable upgrade stuff I've read is that just about any cable will be an noticeable improvement from the stock HD600 cable, including the stock HD650 cable. So I just want to see for myself. I would just get the HD650 cable for $20 or whatever, but I want the 3.5mm connector and would also much prefer it to be shorter.

And any thoughts about the different wire material these two lunashops cables? I am tempted to choose one based purely on looks.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 7

I know there's massive debate about sonic differences in cables...

You should be aware that by creating threads like this it can end up as another effectively inconclusive theater of engagement in that massive debate 
tongue.gif

...but I just want to make sure these aren't lower quality than the stock cable in any way.

As far as materials are concerned any quality replacement cable is likely of "better" materials - cables are likely better, shielding is better, the plugs are more heavy duty. What it will all come down to is workmanship - you can use fancy conductors and bulky, heavy-ar$e (emhasis on the $) Via Blue plugs, but if the maker sucks at braiding cables or soldering them onto the plugs, you've got a problem.

Also, as with their effect on sound, the benefits of "better" materials in other matters isn't exactly clear cut. At best there are compromises either way. Stock cable might be thin, but an upgrade cable is likely not as pliable. The stock plug is a very compact 6.3mm and 3.5mm combo jack that can fit anywhere, which matters even for the larger plug if you have one of those amps where the socket is recessed into the front plate. 

In any case between those two, if they're going for the same price, you might as well get the silver plated version. I can't speak for the sound quality, but if the shielding is transparent, then the oxidation on the copper conductor will be more visible. A silver plated copper conductor might hide that oxidation a bit better. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 7
That looks like it is supposed to be silver plating, not shielding.  The silver version might be a bit stronger, but I would stick to pure copper to avoid the difference in capacitance (50pF vs. 50uF, as an example).

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 7
If you're interested in trying a cable with a silver-like sound, consider the stock HD650 wire. It's very inexpensive direct from Sennheiser and doesn't sound like the HD600 cable.

i would have gotten that one if not for the 1/4" plug. the need to use an adapter with my portable DAP makes it a deal breaker. 

anyway i got the copper one above and i kinda hate it. the L&R plugs at the headphone are huge and stick out way too far. and the insulation material is way too hard. it's a very thin cable, about as thick as one channel of the HD600 stock cable (which is not what i had in mind - i actually wanted overall thicker than stock), yet it's also way too stiff to be usable. and it also seems to have permanent memory of the factory coil radius. so it is always fighting me. i hate it. what a waste of money. oh well, i guess i have a spare.

what i would love is a thicker HD600 cable that it shorter - that's it. but i don't think it exists. so this has nothing to do with an expectation of better sound quality for me. it's simply that i find the stock cable too long & pliable. it tangles too easily and is unwieldy imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back