What do you think of these possible setups
Apr 21, 2008 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
I need lots of opinions, because my head is spinning. I am looking into a new mp3 player to replace my archos av500, and I have way too many options available to me.
Right now, I am thinking of buying an iPhone to replace my current cell phone and have it double as my portable player. However, I also have an excellent aftermarket car audio system, and I was thinking of maybe getting a standalone mp3 player for it. I am going to buy new headphones for use when I am not in my car, and I was considering buying an external amp for use with a line out from the ipod.

so here is my possible set up.

Iphone > cheap in ear buds for random travelling (running, walking around or just a couple minutes worth of listening)
Iphone > line out> external amp> HQ headphones for sitting at home (or anywhere, just emphasis on sitting) and enjoying music
Dedictated mp3 player for the car > line out> aux in for the car system

I am wondering if this is overkill. It seems like it would be too expensive. My main listening would be done in the car (I frequently like to turn off the car and sit in a silent area and do work listening to music, and it is unbelievably good even though it is a car system), so I would want the better player in the car, and just use the iphone to carry + its obvious use as a phone.
I have been looking at the imod website, but I do not own a previous ipod, so I would have to buy one from ebay i guess... or I could go with a zune or cowon player. A question: besides apple, which companies offer a line out option in addition to a headphones jack?
Is it even worth getting an imod for the dedicated unit? Or would a 6th gen work fine? or a zune better?
Or should I just use the iphone with the system? Would that suffice, with a line out jack?

bonus points for ideas for an external amp and headphones if you're really feeling generous, but the point of this thread is to determine the number and models of players I should look in to.
PS, one of the reasons I am looking to a standalone player is the terrible 16 gig max flash space on the iphone- does anyone know if a new iphone is coming out at 32 or 64 gig?

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 4
It seems you would like to use an iPod/iPhone as your primary source. If you are primarily looking to hookup your car stereo, look at the USA Spec auxiliary input device if you do not have an OEM input jack. If USA Spec makes a device that can work with your car head unit, this is the best way to go.

Since you do not listen to your player very much on the go, stick with the OEM earbuds until you feel it does not meet your needs any longer. If the iPod will be your primary source at home, you may want to look at good quality, low impedance haedphones/IEMs to use at home.

Lastly, I am sure Apple will be coming out with larger flash storage. You may want to wait and see what happens.

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't need an input device- I jsut need a way to get it off the iphne with the best signal possible- and I guess that would be through the line out. Is the iphone of high enough quality that it would not justify a standalone unit for the car?

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 4
All right- I am now thinking

iPhone> Line out> mini3 by rockhopper amp > Headphones (Grado 325 i or 225 and I am looking at Bose and Sennheiser as well).
This sound good to you? Ideas for a line out would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back