What do you think of these options for my first open-back headphone?
Feb 5, 2016 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

brent75

100+ Head-Fier
I've lurked here and other places for a while and combed through various reviews, unboxings and shootouts. I've narrowed to these options -- I'm curious how they compare for what I'm seeking.

What I own now
  1. Westone W30 IEMs for gym and sometimes for airplanes (like these just fine)
  2. Audio Technica ath-m50x (I bought into all the hype...got these...and don't really use them...they seem sterile to me...may sell or keep as an option for airplanes)

Open-back options I'm considering (current Amazon pricing)
  1. Philips SHP9500 ($80)
  2. Hifiman HE400s ($300)
  3. Sennheiser HD600 ($330)
  4. Audio Technica ATH-AD900x ($150)
  5. Sennheiser HD598 ($150)
  6. Philips X2 ($390)

Budget
  1. $400 or less

Music I'll listen to
  1. For headphones-on-couch situtaion, it's almost predominantly "rock" (everything from AC/DC to Fleetwood Mac to Jack White to the Barr Brothers to REM) and EDM (house, downtempo). Like to watch lots of live performances.

Source
  1. Macbook Air
  2. No DAC/amp right now BUT intend to purchase one when I purchase these headphones
  3. Probably nothing too expensive -- looking at Micca OriGen

Experience I Want
  1. FUN TO LISTEN TO
  2. Smooth, enveloping, makes me smile, not too harsh, feels like I'm there
  3. The descriptions of soundstage I read sound desirable, especially considering the live music I listen to
  4. I like presence of bass much more than absence of it, but I don't want anything overwhelmingf

Obviously there's a difference between going from $80 pair to $390 pair, but I don't know enough if based on my uses the lower end would be totally fine...or if I'd eventually get buyer's remorse and wish I had something from the upper end of my budget.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 7
Sorry - just realized this should be in another forum. I'll re-post there.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 7
I would amazon prime the 400s, HD600, and a DT880. Then return the two you dont like.
Do you like your headphones to be more 'relaxed' or do you want a very forward sounding pair of cans?

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 7
You may also want to include the MassDrop edition Fostex TH-X00.  Not fully open, I believe semi-open.  Easily powered, suits your music, under $400 and just drop dead gorgeous.  Drop currently going on.

I am thinking about them too.........along with many that you are also looking at.

Good luck!

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks everyone -- I'll have to sign up for Massdrop. I just learned about it yesterday.

Cwazy -- can you educate me on the difference between relaxed and forward sounding? Then I can answer your question.

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 7
The Fostex TH-X00 is a closed back. It is not at all open. It is however a nice option as it is probably one of the best closed back phones out there. 

Forward = sharp and crisp. 
Relaxed = toned down, more mellow in the sense that certain frequencies might not be as identified as their own sound. 

Generally I like forward when my ears are fresh, and relaxed when they're tired and don't need the sharpness. 

Good example would be hifiman vs audeze. I consider hifiman to be more forward cans. I'm referring to the 400s/i/560. On the flip side, people really enjoy audeze for their relaxed yet precise sound signature. 

I've had the m50x's before and would say that they are pretty relaxed. I've also had coworkers who have had 50's and tried my 400i's and they didn't like it because it wasn't 'boomy' enough and it was too sharp of a sound. 

IMO, you need to try it. If you can find a hifi shop around you that has some of these models, give it a shot. 
As for fostex, you can buy them and resell later. They're limited and you'll lose basically no money. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back