What do you think of the Zen V?
Jun 21, 2006 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jonyao0323

Head-Fier
As some of you might know, Creative has just released a new flash player called the Creative Zen V Plus. Check out the initial reviews at Cnet. What do you guys think of it? Likes/dislikes?

Personally, when I first saw it, it looked like it belonged in a toy store. The bright colors, the round shape and cheap looking controls just make it look bad. I don't know, maybe it looks better in person. BUT, I do gladly welcome the return of tactile buttons. I don't know about you guys, but I believe touch sensitive pads/buttons/wheels are still inferior to tactile controls. Also, the Plus option doesnt make much sense IMO. Most people would spend the extra 10-30 bucks just to get the FM and video features, since it's sort of small change when your already paying that much for a DAP.

Other than that, Creative pretty much added what I thought they would add: better battery, better screen, video and photo, voice, different capacities, cheaper than iPod nano, etc. Overall, I give it a "meh..."

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 14
my first thought was along the lines of "so?" like you said, looks more like something from Fisher Price. yet it has too much stuff for a kid to use, if a kid listens to an Mp3 at all. Movie's on 1.5 inch screen. that's kinda pathetic, and can't be too good for your eyes in the first place.

it doesn't have anything new or particularly exciting about it. not something I'd see myself buying over the U10/Clix

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 14
It has LINE in recording!
<3

That's the only thing missing from my Rio Carbon, which is what I am still using now. I think this would really seriously make me consider getting something new.

In other words, I like it.

It does kind of look like a toy in the pics, but that would just deter theives! haha. I'd have to see it for myself though. I need something durable...and i think the round corners are cute.

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 14
Looks alright, but I find Creative stuff always looks better in person compared to the renders on the site.

And line-in! Awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
Looks alright, but I find Creative stuff always looks better in person compared to the renders on the site.

And line-in! Awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with that: when I saw the pictures of the ZVM in green, pink, blue & white, I thought it looked a little toyish - I still prefer that my black ZVM had a black backing.

Hopefully, the plastic of the Zv's will be more durable than the ZVM's plastic, as flash DAP's always take on more abuse. And I was thinking that these things should have 6GB capacities at least, or a 6GB version, because the next gen. nano will most certainly have 6GB - maybe more - and the sansa already has 6GB's....

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 14
Jun 21, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 14
I'm not impressed. I'm actually surprised that Creative took so long to release a 4 gb flash player. And I really don't see why I would chose this Creative over a Sandisk, Samsung, iAudio or iRiver.

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Yea i find creative's stuff to look better in person. Looks aside, I think I may consider it if I don't already have ZVM. Battery life isn't too shaby either.

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 14
At the risk you lot will respond like the dapreview lot did...here goes

Nice features. except, like every Creative offering imo, the styling is lacking. I don't usually agree with cNet, but "cute" is spot on. I apologise if it turns out this new DAP is aimed at the ladies. Again, this last sentence isn't meant to cause offence. Would I be chastised for saying the pink DS is aimed at girls?

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 14
the pink what? sorry it's late what's DS?

there's nothing offensive in creating a product that would be pleasing in the eyes of most ladies, but this one seems to be more pleasing in the eyes of little kids. It's got "my first Zen" written all over it. Otherwise the size is good and the features are impressive, and as others have said it might look much better in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back