what do you think of the ur-30's from koss
Jan 27, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #16 of 18
Crazy4Bass, I think that the Nova-75 was yet another Koss headphone model re-badged for RadioShack; in this case, it's one of the lower-end models whose model number escapes me. And while Koss' lower-end closed headphones are pretty decent, they are simply no match whatsoever for the better "audiophile" headphones (or even the better "studio monitor" headphones, for that matter) in terms of overall sound quality. To me, severely overemphasized bass equals poor overall sound quality. I used to be such a bass-head myself (in fact, I boosted the bass all the way to maximum at that time - and then boosted the treble all the way to maximum, as well, due to the muddying effect of too much bass), until I bought those V6's 12 years ago. Since then, I've been re-training my ears to like the flatter bass response.

Jan 27, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #17 of 18
I call them bed-phones, because you can easily fall asleep in them. Great for studying in bed. They're soft and won't wake you up. Very dark and quiet in there.... no distractions. no harshness whatsoever.

The UR-30's do in fact get to those lower frequencies, and they are easier to drive out of a portable. However they seem to loose more details than the UR-20's. I decided to go with the UR-30's after testing them both out in the store for a while. The 30's are really extended in the bass. It's almost comical, but in a gentle fun way not an irritating way. After and extened burn-in they're even softer and more reserved sounding. These are not for discriminating listening. There's almost no detail whatsoever, even less than the UR-20's. What's nice about them though is they are some of the least fatiguing headphones I've tried. This past summer I used to wear these at work for 10+ hours straight. You're ears will get real sweaty, but they're way comfy and you quickly forget they're even on. For most attentive listening I grab my Grados, but after a few albums the peircing highs wear wear me out and the vice-grip makes my ears really sore. I've tried softer pads, and bending the headband around, but I always end up seeking refuge with the UR-30's when if feel a headache coming on.

The other thing I've noticed about the UR-30's is people really notice them more. They're huge and stick out. People say "damn Lee, those are some big headphones" to me all the time. They really block out the sound well too. I once used them at a loud concert once just to protect my ears, like ear-muffs. It worked out pretty well! When I wear my Grados nobody really notices or ever comments, plus you can hear right through them and talk to people. When you wear the low-end Grados people will look and believe you can hear them. Wear these thick Koss's and people will expect you're off in you're own world and ignore you.

Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
The UR30's are much better than the UR20's. The 30's have a much higher sensitivity rating than the 20's and a better frequency response. The 30's are 100 Ohms and the 20's are 32 Ohms. The higher impedance of the 30's does not seem to matter,they sound way better in my opinion.

They are considered "closed" headphones,but I would not consider them great by any means. For the price,the UR30's are very good,but there are many other closed models that are far superior to these.

cool.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #18 of 18
Well, seems like the bass-crazed audiophile is outnumbered!!
rolleyes.gif
I'm not going to argue anymore with you V6ers.
redface.gif
Anyway, my boardie name says a lot about how much I adore bass!! (LOL) BTW, although I may NEVER agree with your views, I DO respect your opinions.

Casey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back