What do you think of the RIAA?
Feb 4, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 21
Heres what i think, about mp3s and the RIAA.... =P

There are tons and tons of music artists out there and only some of them i like.

I usually download a few if not the whole CD from various sources and see how i like them album. If i find myself playing the mp3 in winamp alot, i SERIOUSLY consider buying the CD, if not, it has fun with all the other crap in the recycling bin.

For example: I downloaded the Audioslave CD and the new Korn Untouchables CD. I LOVED the new korn cd, and about a week after i downloaded it, i bought it. I hated the Audioslave cd and am i very glad i didn't buy that crap (btw RATM > AudioSlave =P)

I like to think that downloading MP3s helps the music industry in our favor. Crappy bands die sooner and the good ones live on until they start making crap or kill themselves. Darwinism in the music industry.

I think what the RIAA wants is to stop the 'stealing' of music as a whole. Which i think is stupid because, they promote a bunch of music bands i don't like. I use mp3s as a tool to test what kinds of cds (products) i am considering buying.

With all those stupid record sales dropping and stuff, i think the problem is, not us, but the crappy music artists they reprisent.

Personal Rant:

I personally don't like people who just download tons and tons of Mp3s. Its stupid. If u like a particular cd a lot, buy it! Im not asking u to spend zillions on cds, just atleast buy a few to support the artists you like. And maybe they will continue making those phat tunes =P

Feb 4, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 21
They are a bunch of morons. Any music that people pirate is for one of two reasons:

A) They want to listen before they buy, then they buy.
B) They are people who can't afford hardly any CDs.

A) Seems like a good thing to me, and I've done it before. They get my money, but I can decide what I want, like renting a VHS before I buy the DVD. This should be ENCOURAGED because in the long run people could find more artists that they like.
B) This should be fixed. There is no reason why CDs have to be so damn expensive. If CDs were dropped to $10 and/or there was no price fixing, more people definitely would buy CDs. I'd say there is no doubt about it. On top of that, if they quit spending money on lawyers and ridiculous anti-pirating schemes, I bet more money would be made than before mp3s even existed and THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM.

Feb 4, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 21
Record Industry Association of America
Then what the hell are they doing telling me what to do when I'm Australian, and in no way interested in downloading their Ms. Spears from WinMX.
On the rare occasion I do download, it is because I cannot buy the CD in this country, or when I can't afford paying $35-$40 for an album with three songs I like, the rest I don't.

Feb 4, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 21
I used to keep all my .mp3s. Now I don't.. I deleted some, found I didn't care, so deleted a lot more. I downloaded a smashing pumpkins song, found I liked it, and bought an album. .mp3 also helped me find new genres.. I now really like a LOT more genres.. not just skater punk (hate it now, in fact..)

Feb 4, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 21
I honestly wouldn't have my cd's if it weren't for mp3's. Back when it mp3's weren't popular I always bought an album only to end up hating it and selling it back to a used cd store for half of what I paid. I think the RIAA are lowlife scum that would enforce their communism ways even if half the world was wiped by a nuke. Fsck them.

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 21
I think the woman who's the head of the RIAA doesn't like her ipod too much.

She says "like me, I'm cool, I worked with mtv, I have an ipod."

She must be looking to sell it then. I wonder what she thinks when she rips her favorite cd, only to find it's copy-protected and won't work with her ipod?

Idiot.

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 21
for an organization their terribly niave. Funny how their going after some poor college kids when i can go out in many areas in NYC and find those people selling pirated cdr's of full albums on street corners...they are everywhere, why dont they arrest them? Their doing far more harm than some college kid.

*****The reason why the music industry is faltering in sales is because their releasing crappy music*******

Feb 4, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 21
I'm glad Hilary Rosen finally stepped down. Maybe it was because she realized her kids were using KaZaA, or maybe it was because she realized that it was an unending fight. At any rate, most people I know (including myself) download music just to try out an album, and then go out and buy it, just to support the artist.
Why not, then, download the songs, burn them, and mail the artist some money? It's cheaper and the artist probably will make more than what he would get.

Feb 5, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 21
Let me forward this by saying that i am not a major music buyer. I am 16 years old, and before i seriously start investing in music, i'd like to have a good, solid rig (and them some)
biggrin.gif

With that said, i will admit that i do use mp3's on a fairly regular basis. It provides a clearly inferior methiod of listening to music before i finally plunk down the change and buy the CD myself, or as i more commonly do, borrow from the library, and burn myself a copy.

Do i believe what i do is right? of course not. A major evil? nope. Simply put, i will not pay 20 dollars for a CD, outside of the rare SACD, which i feel in some ways, is nessairy to feed the market. The new formats are clearly superior in sound quality, and often is a consiteration for buying an album

I also have a moral objection to supporting the RIAA, and i have a feeling that it's only going to get worse. I don't especially like the concept of funding a company which only seeks to proscute me for downloading music.

Most people who download music aren't evil people who are just looking to screw over artists (sans metallica), they're people who want to get a feel for an album, and enjoy the music, which, ultimately, is the agenda for many musicans. After all, i dion't see many artists going out on their own free will, and protesting mp3 piracy (I believe a majority of those who speak out against it are being paid by their reccord company)

Ultimately, if i buy an album, i'm paying for the whole package, and i want it to be good for me to plunk down my hard earned cash. 2 or 3 good songs is not worth 20 dollars.

Just my .02

Feb 5, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 21
IMO, its never good buisness sense to call all your customers theifs (unless you are a warden or something...). The result is reflected in this poll. In a cummunity of music lovers, around 70% hate the RIAA. You would think that here would be where the RIAA would score the highest.

If your customers hate you, they will cease to be your customers, which is probably the reason behind sagging sales.

I think what is really happening though is that the market is getting saturated. No major new styles or formats have emerged latlely so people don't really feel the need to buy more music. The sales of music have never declined until this year? All good things come to an end, you can't expect an industry, no matter what it is, to keep expanding indefinatly. Maybe the music industry has hit critical mass.

Anyone else find it odd to refer to music as an industry?

Feb 5, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 21
I went in to my local HMV the other day and wanted to buy MY IRON LUNG by Radiohead...it was $23 bucks. While flipping through I noticed THE BENDS was $26.99.

Now, I love Radiohead a lot. But 27 bucks for an album that is not even an import is just dumb. There is NO reason for this except highway robbery. A double delux directors cut wide screen combo DVD with all the fixin's including the soundtrack and easter eggs goes for a typical 27 bucks when not on sale for 19.99. Why is this? DVD's are more expensive to produce. DVD's hold more information, most of these sets are 2 DVD sets. Why then, is a single CD as much as or more than a DVD set? Don't retaliate with how a movie makes tons at the box office, it also costs a hellava lot more to make (on average). So then...the RIAA is it if to make a massive profit, the artists barely benefit, and the consumers are left spending tons on music else we are thieves for downloading.

Stop stealing from us (because in fact that is EXACTLY what they are doing, it may not be on the record as stealing but price fixing is a form of stealing), and we will buy cds. It is simple. I need to work for the RIAA. Someone can pay me 60 million a year to tell them how to make money, and hell, they will succeed.

Feb 5, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 21
I see that the RIAA has made quite a name for themselves lately. I don't like what they have been doing in regards to MP3's and all that stuff. The main reason I don't like them and voted so is I have a basic belief that any and all corporations should not be allowed to have an association or organization that lobbies the government. THe RIAA and the Association of American Railroads are both conspiring to ruin my life and I don't like it.

I won't even mention the cost of "music" cd-r's and blank cassettes. Both of which have taxes brought upon us by the RIAA that the proceeds from go to private companies. (Does the artist really get any money from the sale of blank cd's and tapes?)

I should stop now, thank you for your time.....................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back