What do you think of my headphone options?
Mar 1, 2009 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

banker

New Head-Fier
Right now my main headphone is the AKG K 518 DJ. I like them a lot but I'm looking for something more portable (bud or IEM) that I can use for exercising/jogging.

My musical tastes are wide-ranging. I enjoy everything from rock to classical, therefore my new headphones should be able to sound punchy and silky depending on the music. For reference, I like the forward sound of Klipsch speakers.

I'm only looking to spend ~$100. I may be willing to stretch that, especially since I've read so many awesome reviews on the Phonak Audeo PFE.

Here's my short list so far, ordered by price (from low to high). I'm open to all of your suggestions.

1. Bose IEM - I can get these for 'free' with my VISA points. But I'm skeptical of anything made by Bose. Plus, they seem kinda chunky to be jogging with.

2. Creative EP630 - I can get these for $20 at Dell. I tried my friends and I thought they sounded pretty decent for the price. But they were a bit boomy.

3. Yuin PK3 - $40 seems pretty pricey for buds, but these seem to have a lot of respect around here.

4. Nuforce NE7 - a bit pricier than the PK3, but I've read opinions around here that they sound more balanced.

5. Yuin PK2 - wondering whether they're worth twice the price of the PK3. Some have mentioned that the PK2 lacks bass. I'll always prefer tightness over oomph, and it is my understanding that the PK2 has the former so I don't think I'd have a problem with them.

6. Eytmotic ER6 - based on the reviews, these IEMs are very accurate though perhaps sound a bit "thin".

7. Phonak Audeo PFE - has a lot of supporters. Wondering, though, whether they'd be appropriate for jogging. They seem kind of bulky.

There's probably a bunch that I've missed. Please suggest any others in this price range, but please keep in mind that I'm in Canada. Accordingly, it's often difficult to get decent headphones at below-retail prices.

Thank you!
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have nothing else to blow your VISA points on, why not buy the Boses, sell them BNIB, and use the money to fund your purchase?

Sounds like a plan actually, but make sure whats the market price is currently.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 18
Here's a thorough review on the Phonak Audeo PFE. According to the review they seem to have a secure fit (good for jogging), but may lack some punchiness in the bass.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Direct RE2.

Actually, I was thinking of this one as well but I forgot to put it on my list.

I think I've narrowed down my decision to either the RE2, PK2 or PK3.

Any further insight?

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 18
wow man the OP had only 2 posts since Dec 2007??!!

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 18
Some people lurk. I am not one of them.
biggrin.gif

I'd go with the Audeo if you have the money.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 18
I think it's the wrong forum...

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 18
Really? The last time he logged on was probably before the separate portable forum was created. You're really starting to annoy me.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 18
The Pk2's are really fine. Fantastic sound for an ear bud. No need to amp. They are worth it. I got my wife a pair and she's thrilled. I have the PK1, which I amp, and they are okay--good sound, weirdly enought sort of bass heavy (wouldn't expect that in an ear bud). All in all, I should've just purchased the PK2 (carting an amp is not my idea of portability, but I cart one anyway).

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back