What do you think of Klipsch Custom 2?
May 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ok1907

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. What do you think of them? Most of the people on the internet are extremely happy with them. What iems can you match with them in terms of sound quality and isolation? Lastly, are they worth $100? Thanks in advance.

May 25, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 19
yeah thnx but I live in Turkey and I think Amazon doesn't ship to Turkey in these days. And even if they do it'll cost around $100 with shipment. So It's better I but in here. Any other ideas about this earphone?

May 25, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 19
I've been listening to my music via my Custom 2 almost entirely over the last week and it's, especially for it's price and place in the IEM chain, excellent sounding! Everythings there, integral to solid SQ, with just say 10-20% shved off that a higher-end IEM will deliver ie some more extension in highs and lows, better space/air, instrumentent separation and clarity, more body and weight to the sound, wider, deeper soundstage/headstage, all meaning a better sound imagery created/conveyed. However, what I'm trying to say is the Custom 2's, to me, capture/retain and reproduce say 70-85% of this core SQ other IEMs- thinking predominantly of UE Triple fi pro 10s, W3's and SE530s, which I also own- that are higher-end and more expensive, produce! They are more than sufficient enough for me to get into and enjoy the music. Sound sig wise, I'd say they are rather flat; no area of the frequency range is undernourished nor is it really forward, loud or accentuated. Everything is rather flat and smooth, yet articuate.

Outside SQ, they are extremely comfortable, ergonomic and easy to insert/fit (with large, supplied ear gels) for me, they seem very well built and durable and look classy, if reserved. Only major niggle is the cable is very prone to kinking and they regulary get tangled as a result of a combination of this and the fact they have memory wire (causes monitors to behave like hooks). I do not find the cable microphonic.

May 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 19
thnx for information. I dont expect them to be as good as very expensive iems but if they are better than let's say shure se210,se310 or westone um1, then they are worth a try.

May 25, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok1907 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thnx for information. I dont expect them to be as good as very expensive iems but if they are better than let's say shure se210,se310 or westone um1, then they are worth a try.

Well I havn't owned or tied any of those IEMs you list there, but from reading reviews/impressions here and there (on Head-fi), and the place in market of Custom 2s, they will better, or certainly compete, with all of those models, sonically. If you're shopping in that price range/region of IEM market I certainly don't think the Custom 2's will disappoint. Good luck with whatever purchase you make!
wink.gif

May 25, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 19
oh in addition to the reply to your pm i had forgotten about the cable.

it seems as thought klipsch changed the cable on them not too long ago to the same one used on the custom 3. the new one being rather stuff and kinks as soon as you look at it. my custom 2 have the old but soft and flexible cable so i forget that the new ones may well have the crappy stiff one.

May 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh in addition to the reply to your pm i had forgotten about the cable.

it seems as thought klipsch changed the cable on them not too long ago to the same one used on the custom 3. the new one being rather stuff and kinks as soon as you look at it. my custom 2 have the old but soft and flexible cable so i forget that the new ones may well have the crappy stiff one.

Strange that, as I think I got my Custom 2's around same time as you- during that excellent sale price at Amazon just before Christmas- and mine kinks and twists like a m*ther*****er! Have you ascertained that Klipsch actually changed the cables at some point or are you just (educatedly) speculating?

May 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 19
im going by what ive read on here. my custom3 cable is stiff and kinks like a fecker but my custom 1 and 2 cables are very different. much softer, no kinking at all. from what i have read it would seem that the 3 has had this cable for ages but the 2 changed not that long ago. i dont see any point asking klipsch about it as they dont seem to have a clue. there was some complains on their site about teh cable change on the custom 3 as i believe originally it too had the soft cable to the super kinky one. they were arguing blind that they hadnt changed the cable at all and that thier engineers had pairs of the custom that they had been using for ages (since before they launched) and had no experience of cables getting stiff.

i think some one there decided to cut costs and changed the cable to the stiff god awful one and didint bother to make it known to the sales staff or engineering staff. what ever they did its a real shame, the difference between the 2 and 3 cables i have is huge. the 1 and 2 cables are fine, but the stiff one on the 3 sucks great big donkey balls.

May 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im going by what ive read on here. my custom3 cable is stiff and kinks like a fecker but my custom 1 and 2 cables are very different. much softer, no kinking at all. from what i have read it would seem that the 3 has had this cable for ages but the 2 changed not that long ago. i dont see any point asking klipsch about it as they dont seem to have a clue. there was some complains on their site about teh cable change on the custom 3 as i believe originally it too had the soft cable to the super kinky one. they were arguing blind that they hadnt changed the cable at all and that thier engineers had pairs of the custom that they had been using for ages (since before they launched) and had no experience of cables getting stiff.

i think some one there decided to cut costs and changed the cable to the stiff god awful one and didint bother to make it known to the sales staff or engineering staff. what ever they did its a real shame, the difference between the 2 and 3 cables i have is huge. the 1 and 2 cables are fine, but the stiff one on the 3 sucks great big donkey balls.

Fair enough lol! Thats certainly plenty to support the suspicion. Shame that I appear to have got one of the poor cable, new variety! Image X10 rubber sheath has just split on one of my earpices, also. Bugger
tongue.gif

May 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 19
i do wonder sometimes how hard is it to make a decent cable?

thing is problem solved if they just make their cables removable then no one will care if they crap as they can easily just change them.

such a shame really as they got so much with with the customs. i love their fit, the best of any IEM for me no question. they sound absolutely great for the money, very nice smooth balanced sound

May 26, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #14 of 19
I went with the Custom 3's... already voiced my opinions on the cable in your other thread Kaboom.

Needless to say, I like the cable, and prefer it over the usual thin flimsy rubber affairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back