What do you think of Binaural recordings?
Jun 17, 2011 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nicklikesmusic

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I read an article on Headfi recently regarding Binaural recordings. So I thought I would do some research and listen to some extracts on Youtube. OK most are rubbish but I find this recording incredible!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQRrCVosJs

It's an excerpt of 'Sileypud'.  I was a little shocked because although you can pick holes in the treble/bass etc it is an extremely lifelike recording and after all isn't that what listening to music is all about? I am using HD598 / Macbook pro no other amp etc. Very happy with the 598's (yes I know I need to upgrade source/amp have Rega Apollo/ Ear combo on way).

There must be more people using headphones than speakers in the world today. Is the industry worried that this very old technique will negate the need for multi channel surround setups and the ability to sell us more???

What do you think? Oh and please listen to the recording above before you post :)

Cheers

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Hi All,

I read an article on Headfi recently regarding Binaural recordings. So I thought I would do some research and listen to some extracts on Youtube. OK most are rubbish but I find this recording incredible!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQRrCVosJs

It's an excerpt of 'Sileypud'.  I was a little shocked because although you can pick holes in the treble/bass etc it is an extremely lifelike recording and after all isn't that what listening to music is all about? I am using HD598 / Macbook pro no other amp etc. Very happy with the 598's (yes I know I need to upgrade source/amp have Rega Apollo/ Ear combo on way).

There must be more people using headphones than speakers in the world today. Is the industry worried that this very old technique will negate the need for multi channel surround setups and the ability to sell us more???

What do you think? Oh and please listen to the recording above before you post :)

Cheers

That recording is from the Stax Space Sound CD. Most of the recordings on that CD are outstanding and very lifelike. They were all done using the Neumann KU81i dummy head IIRC.

There are a few modern recordings which use this technique. See my blog for some binaural CD recommendations.

As to why more people don't use this recording technique? I have many theories but haven't settled on a single factor. Binaural also isn't easy to do well. If you like binaural recording techniques, look into Blumlein, Holophonic, Holographic, Single Point and Jecklin recording techniques.

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 4
The RCA Living Stereo series from the 50s has a very natural binaural sound. On some recordings they recorded a third center channel, which is available on SACD. Binaural isn't just for headphones. If you have a proper listening room with balanced speaker placement, you can get a very natural stereo spread with speakers too.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
The RCA Living Stereo series from the 50s has a very natural binaural sound. On some recordings they recorded a third center channel, which is available on SACD. Binaural isn't just for headphones. If you have a proper listening room with balanced speaker placement, you can get a very natural stereo spread with speakers too.

The first few issues used only 2 mics. However, shortly after that it became the norm to use three omni mics hung above the orchestra a la Mercury Living Presence but RCA decided to also use spot mics on certain soloists.

I think the OP was specifically referring to dummy head binaural techniques. That said, I love the stereo binaural techniques used by RCA and Mercury in the early days of stereo. Very natural soundstage and very spacious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back