What do you think must have headphones in a collection are?
Aug 24, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 30
M40x

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 30
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 30
HD-600 for the timbre. HE-6 SE v2 as the daily. K702 for the big image.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 30
on the higher end:

Audeze LCD-4 (OG)
HFM Susvara
ZMF Auteur
Senn 800 (OG-mods)
Senn 600

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #22 of 30
a pair of Dan Clark Aeon open X
Damn, the Aeons do not belong in a "must have" collection, enjoy manually rolling your $500 headphone pads back into shape every time you want to listen to them. For planars from DCA instead go with the Ethers, more comfortable, also closed back, and don't have the notorious foam rolling pad issue.

Yes to the Elex, identical to Clears except they don't have the terrible design of gray cloth which absorbs skin oil and becomes visibly discolored. The Clears are fantastic headphones.

I have the LCD-X and they sound quite juicy minus the infamous midrange dip, but the weight is unacceptable. LCD-2c are a little lighter but it's pretty dumb, there's no benefit to the bulk.

Hard to say anything else without knowing preferences (price range, open vs closed, wires or wireless).

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 30
Damn, the Aeons do not belong in a "must have" collection, enjoy manually rolling your $500 headphone pads back into shape every time you want to listen to them. For planars from DCA instead go with the Ethers, more comfortable, also closed back, and don't have the notorious foam rolling pad issue.

Yes to the Elex, identical to Clears except they don't have the terrible design of gray cloth which absorbs skin oil and becomes visibly discolored. The Clears are fantastic headphones.

I have the LCD-X and they sound quite juicy minus the infamous midrange dip, but the weight is unacceptable. LCD-2c are a little lighter but it's pretty dumb, there's no benefit to the bulk.

Hard to say anything else without knowing preferences (price range, open vs closed, wires or wireless).

Not everyone has issues with the pads, and even if the pads wrinkle a bit it's not a big deal as it doesn't effect the sound.

As far as the lcd. I much prefer the 2c over the x sound signature and owned them prior. The weight isn't a big deal and again it's not an issue for me or many people. The quality and sound of these headphones are well worth the slight weight increase over other headphones. So no many of us don't think they are dumb and love the audeze headphones.

If you had read my initial post you would had noticed I mentioned a tube amp with a multibit dac, so there is no reason wireless headphones would be in here. You still can't get true lossless with wireless.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #24 of 30
if the pads wrinkle a bit it's not a big deal as it doesn't effect the sound.
It's not a "wrinkle" and yes, it can affect the seal. Hopefully yours don't get it, i'm on my 3rd set of pads, all have gotten it.

If you had read my initial post you would had noticed I mentioned a tube amp with a multibit dac, so there is no reason wireless headphones would be in here. You still can't get true lossless with wireless.
Ah, I don't know much about tube amps (didn't know the Lyr 3 is a tube amp) because they reduce audio fidelity.

You still can't get true lossless with wireless.
Fair. I would still consider the Airpod Max as a contender on a "must have" list. I for sure know i can't hear above 256kbps quality. If you can and that's why you prefer not to have wireless then I wonder why a tube amp, as that has a lot more audible distortion.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #25 of 30
It's not a "wrinkle" and yes, it can affect the seal. Hopefully yours don't get it, i'm on my 3rd set of pads, all have gotten it.

Ah, I don't know much about tube amps (didn't know the Lyr 3 is a tube amp) because they reduce audio fidelity.

Fair. I would still consider the Airpod Max as a contender on a "must have" list. I for sure know i can't hear above 256kbps quality. If you can and that's why you prefer not to have wireless then I wonder why a tube amp, as that has a lot more audible distortion.
It's a hybrid tube amp. The point of it is I can throw a list solid state module in there if I want and run it as a solid state amp. I can add vintage tubes and change the sound with each tune as I want and make it warmer or more analytical or neutral if I choose. Not all tubes add distortion.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #27 of 30
It's a hybrid and stands up at its price as superior to many many SS amps.

Aug 25, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 30
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #30 of 30
If you are having a collection of headphones like me I recommend having multiple sound signatures. Bright, neutral, dark, bassy, V shaped, W shaped, U shaped, midrange n shaped. An open and closed version of each sound signature. Plus a specialty headphones a decent anc for travel, electrostatics cause it's a different type of experience. Hm if you still want more try different drivers start with Biodynamic, neodymium dynamic, beryllium drivers, planar fazor, planar stealth, graphene drivers, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back