What do you think is the most prestigeous brand for ultra high end audio??
Apr 21, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #31 of 60
aside from many mentioned already, i believe that sonicweld and marten deserve note. sonicweld for making a badass megabucks line array, and marten for making a speaker driver out of diamonds.

supreme-small.jpg

i'm not ******** you. diamonds.

IMG_8181-thumbnail.jpg

...diamonds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Megnapan

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*]Magneplan[/list]

crap... how could i forget megnaplan??
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NAD
biggrin.gif

i second that for being the most peformance for price. these are the stuff that i actaully care for more then the 'high end' stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry forgot sonicweld pictures.

http://www.sonicweld.com/gallery/31.jpg
http://www.sonicweld.com/gallery/29.jpg
http://www.sonicweld.com/gallery/37.jpg

they're active too.

sorry but that only cost 1/10th of the german physiks, being $250k.
germanphysikstiebreak.jpg

there are the Acapella horn speakers which is almost up there too.

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #35 of 60
Krell
Mark Levinson
BAT
VTL
Audio Research
Mcintosh
Audio Aero
Thiel
Wilson
Pass Labs
Ayre
Halcro
etc. etc. etc.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i second that for being the most peformance for price. these are the stuff that i actaully care for more then the 'high end' stuff.

sorry but that only cost 1/10th of the german physiks, being $250k.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...kstiebreak.jpg

there are the Acapella horn speakers which is almost up there too.

martens were the ones i mentioned purely because they cost so much. german physik doesn't use diamonds.
biggrin.gif
they are still more expensive though, the coltrane supreme "only" costs $200,000.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #38 of 60
OK, so how do these cost-as-much-as-a-lamborghini speakers compare to the cost-as-much-as-a-kia headphones?

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #39 of 60
Completely IMHO, but these systems will demolish headphone systems in almost everything but micro-details. No, I haven't listened to a high-end headphone system such as Neil's and Nik's or a pair of ridiculously pricey Coltrane Supremes so take my opinion with a huge pinch of salt. That said, I have had good listens to a couple $100K+ speaker systems and goodness-knows-how-many $50k+ systems. The soundstage is just incredibly realistic. Reproduced music becomes live music. It's a very awe-inspiring experience.

There are a few on this forum who actually own such systems. I think they'll be most qualified to comment on the relative merits of high-end headphone systems vs high-end stereo.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so how do these cost-as-much-as-a-lamborghini speakers compare to the cost-as-much-as-a-kia headphones?

Not very well, generally. The majority of speakers in the $10,000 and up category don't measure well. They're designed for looks and luxury, not performance. There are exceptions, of course.

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very British
wink.gif
Add Naim to that list too. The make terrific products.

Interesting that you should spot that. I deliberately excluded NAIM from my Brit-Fi. My (admittedly limited) experience with NAIM systems has never been favourable to my ears. I've always found their sound to be so aggressive. Although this may have been a speaker issue. As I say. I haven't the luxury of extensive experience. I really should start going to hi-fi shows.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not very well, generally. The majority of speakers in the $10,000 and up category don't measure well. They're designed for looks and luxury, not performance. There are exceptions, of course.

Which ones in particular? The majority of the expensive speakers I've heard really do sound very good. Diminishing returns is definitely reflected in the progressively poor performance/cost ratios, but everyone involved in this hobby knows that. The only speakers which I listened to and didn't like were the $6k JMLabs Electra 1027Be and the $45k Marten Design Coltranes. I had a good hour with both and couldn't quite like them.

1027 BE: I was literally shocked when told the price because they looked far too nice for a pair of $6k speakers. The similarly priced ProAc D38 sounded much more impressive, but doesn't look nearly as nice (matte wood veneered box:p vs curvy, glossy paint/fancy wood). I think I preferred the B&W 803S over them too... Note: the three speakers were auditioned in three completely rooms and setups.

Coltranes: $45k! Yer kindin' me! Maybe it was the room (bare glass walls on one side, glass cabinets on the other) or the unburned-in components (Esoteric X-01Limited, can't remember what amps), but I didn't think much of them at all. They sounded good, but not $45k good. I thought the $25k Sonus Faber Amati (w/ Burmester gear) sounded much better although it was in a much better room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting that you should spot that. I deliberately excluded NAIM from my Brit-Fi. My (admittedly limited) experience with NAIM systems has never been favourable to my ears. I've always found their sound to be so aggressive. Although this may have been a speaker issue. As I say. I haven't the luxury of extensive experience. I really should start going to hi-fi shows.

Which Naim gear have you listened to? There was one particular combination of Naim/ProAc system (CDX2/XPS2 - NAC282/HiCap/NAPSC - NAP250 - ProAc D80) that I found unlistenable. It was, like you said, bright and aggressive. I think it was poor CDP synergy with the rest of the system. Swapping the CDX2/XP2 for a CD555/PS555 sorted things out
very_evil_smiley.gif
In general, Naim gear aren't that aggressive...

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdjenders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. I went to the local Mercedes-Benz dealer to ogle yesterday, and they had a $375,000 Maybach in the showroom. It came complete with a wonderful Bose audio system
rolleyes.gif

Well - that's Mercedes for you. IMO the most overrated car manufacturer. If you want performance, go BM and if you want class, nothing says class like an Aston Martin.
Or JAGUAR!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Speaking of which, some car companies are starting to wake up in terms of audio. Aston Martin uses Linn I think in all their new cars and Lexus have a contract with Mark Levinson.

Apr 23, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #44 of 60
Well, the ones that come to my mind firstly (being the ones my dad has) are...
Tannoy
Quad

Then I heard of McIntoshi and B&W from my dad.
My relative has a full B&W set in her living room, but it may be (actually, it probably is) the room acoustics, but I was not impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back